Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - 2nd Annual Tower of America's Euro Car Show
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
2nd Annual Tower of America's Euro Car Show 
Administrator

New post Re: 2nd Annual Tower of America's Euro Car Show
jake. wrote:
damn clay came down.
i would have loved to take some pictures of his car. :(

Yea, and he got like 2-3 trophies. Love that car! I think the gold chains, instead of rubber hangers, on the rear hatch ledge, were a nice touch.

All and all, it was a good turn-out! Props to Dale, Javi, Clint, and the other guy who's name I forget... and everyone else involved. Maybe next year I'll have something to show. (poor GTI) On the upside, the ML500 was looking pretty good next to the SEA banner. ;)

07MKVGLI wrote:
Yeah fun stuff today. Good turnout as well.
Gotta disagree about best in show, but congrats to everyone else.

I must say, I was quite disappointed when I went to show Terri your green line on the front grill, and it wasn't there! :-x What did you do!?!?! :-(

210_THUMPER wrote:
yea it was some awesome weather except for all the dam :-x :-x mosquitos!!!! :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x my ankles and legs are all bitten up!!! but after the bug spray run we were all good!!

I must not taste good then. Think I was the only person who didn't notice them at all.

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Angry White Guy

Great turnout this year and, aside form there being no water :-x , it was a great environment (for those of us who were smart and used bug spray!). Dale and Javi, thank you so much for your efforts in putting this on. All of us at DBC Performance appreciate what you've done for the scene down here and this car show is building strength. I look forward to it developing like HWB has. Congrats to those who took home trophies.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 am
Site Sponsor

There is a short write up in the automotive section of today's Exprees News and there is a short slide show at
http://www.mysanantonio.com/search?keywords=car%20show# This is featured in the Houston paper as well.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

I must say that the participants at this years show really stepped up. I saw many cars, that were also shown last year, come back this year, and such a marked improvement in detail and cleanliness, in addition to more modifications. As far as Best of Show goes, it was a very difficult decision. There were really 5 cars that were considered for the Best of Show category and anyone of them could have been the winner and easily defended. It came down to some very technical points and presentation more than just the extent of modifications. I would like to post a few pictures from the Tower of the America's Show. I would also like to extend my thanks to everyone that participated and look forward seeing you at next years show.
Jimbo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 am
Profile ICQ

I was happy just to get a trophy at my first show. I built this thing to win races not shows.....lol.I couldnt be more happy about our clubs turnout and participation. I had a blast!!! but i must say i was disappointed to lose to a pretty much bone stock car of the same make and model.

and the major objective of the day was reached, we raised some money for some children who could use our help, and thats what its all about at the end of the day!!! :supz:

next year i think the show should have a "cruise missle" category!! :butthead:

2008 GMC Acadia *grocery getter*

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 pm

NVMYM3 wrote:
I was happy just to get a trophy at my first show. I built this thing to win races not shows.....lol.I couldnt be more happy about our clubs turnout and participation. I had a blast!!! but i must say i was disappointed to lose to a pretty much bone stock car of the same make and model.

and the major objective of the day was reached, we raised some money for some children who could use our help, and thats what its all about at the end of the day!!! :supz:

next year i think the show should have a "cruise missle" category!! :butthead:

thats what i was thinking, a pretty much stock m3, minus wheels and brakes and a system won the entire show? show politics i suppose.

But either way, good to see they wrote a fat check to a good foundation.

More classes would be cool too.

The Reflective Touch
Affordable Automotive Detailing Service!

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 pm
Site Sponsor

Politics had nothing to do with the judging ........ period. For the past 12 years we have judged cars .... not car owners. There will be some changes in classes.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:13 pm

I think that the people working the show should pick the class each car belongs in. The car that won best project car was an awfully nice "project." The interior was MINT, the body was almost perfect, the engine was detailed and ready for show etc. Project car, to me means an incomplete, unfinished car. If THAT was a project car wern't they ALL project cars because no car I've ever seen is ever finished. I've been going to car shows since I was born, so I wouldn't say I speak blindly.

A list of classes at the show would be nice too as I entered the "Daily Driver" class, which didn't exist. Even the people at the front taking the money didn't know the classes...

just a thought.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Doc, you are wrong about this car. That belongs to Joseph and he does stereo and electronics installs and details cars on the side, so he absolutely knows how to fix up and detail cars. Here's his website....http://www.crystalworks.gotstang.com/.
He also had to replace the original engine, I know because I helped (just a little) pull the old one out and put a new one in. The car was a true beater to begin with short of needing major body work. The paint was trashed and he polished it out amoung the many things he did. He also changed many other parts to make the car look the way it is today. And then there is the turbo install which he did himself. So yes it has been a project car with over a year in transformation to get it to it's present condition. Everything that was done to that car has Joseph's fingerprints all over them. And you know project cars are never finished but sometimes they look that way. I don't think he is finished modifying it yet. And Doc you should know better than anyone that the day a true gearhead is through modifying a car is the day he sells it.
You should ask questions and know before you start making assumptions and posting your opinions.
Jimbo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:08 pm
Profile ICQ

Enjoyed being there shaking hands, seeing old faces lurking around. I was torn between Scott, Jeff and Rob's BMWs, so whichever way it went I would have been fine. Congratz to all winners, and thanks to all who put a great show which San Antonio has been craving for a long time.

twitter.com/dbctuning aim:dbcperformance

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ride Height Police

Clay should have won Best in show,

Swapped motor
Shaved bay
Bodywork
Mint paint
Coraddo dash

all kinds of good ****.

fabulousstreetscene.blogspot.com

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:31 pm
SEA Supporter

I thought the three month old smart should have gotten best paint!
LOL
Also any car with a closed hood or dirty engine bay should not get best of show.

I was thinking the motor swapped m3 Javier now owns was best in show.

I can't believe I finally got a trophy. My car has been in more shows than most.
Like already said it was for a good cause.
Thanks for everyone responsible for putting it on.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:16 am

My photobucket account is at 2 of 150 pictures uploading so im going to let it upload overnight then delete all the unwanteds and post the pics up.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:28 am

Personally I welcome all constructive criticism and opinions on the show; there are many issues that we need to tweak and improve and one of the best ways to get it done it's through feedback. All participants make the show happen, if it wasn't for your support we wouldn't have a show. One of the big challenges that we face is how to categorize the competition and make it fair game to everyone. We also understand that we can't please everyone but for the most part it seemed like an overall success by most accounts... This was only the second year of this venture and it will only get better with your help and support. Sometimes it's hard to gage what kind of participation we will have, especially when early registration is not met but that's part of what we have to deal with... So far it seems like we will have a much bigger variety of euros next year since we have been contacted by the Jaguar club and other entities post-show which speaks volumes! I also want reiterate that we don't play politics and we'll be looking for your ideas and thoughts next time and try to balance things a bit better. I won't dispute any of the awards because we all have different taste and ideas... We will definitely explore a different approach next time and also hope to get some folks to help and volunteer your time and ideas. Again a BIG THANK YOU :bowdown:

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 am

I have been talking with Dale and amoung the things that are proposed to be changed next year are entry forms that ask for the make and model the participant plans to bring. Without that info this year we had to wait and see what cars were coming before we could even decide on how to split the classes. The Mk II was stunning, but so was the VW Bus, Porsche 911T, Javier's M3, Al's Lotus, and others along with eventual winner. I told them I couldn't decide on best of show and I did not envy their roll in making that decision. There were so many cars that deserved recognition at this show this year that we could have given out trophies to everyone. You could say we ran out of trophies before we ran out of winners. I remember how modest Rob was in saying he was just glad to win anything after winning a People's Choice award. I admire his attitude. I wish we would have had an Most Extreme Performance Class because he would have certainly won that. Remember the real winners are The Children's Bereavment Center and all of us being able to get together and enjoy the progress on each others cars.
Jimbo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 am
Profile ICQ
SEA Supporter

Jimbo Roberts wrote:
I have been talking with Dale and amoung the things that are proposed to be changed next year are entry forms that ask for the make and model the participant plans to bring. Without that info this year we had to wait and see what cars were coming before we could even decide on how to split the classes. The Mk II was stunning, but so was the VW Bus, Porsche 911T, Javier's M3, Al's Lotus, and others along with eventual winner. I told them I couldn't decide on best of show and I did not envy their roll in making that decision. There were so many cars that deserved recognition at this show this year that we could have given out trophies to everyone. You could say we ran out of trophies before we ran out of winners. I remember how modest Rob was in saying he was just glad to win anything after winning a People's Choice award. I admire his attitude. I wish we would have had an Most Extreme Performance Class because he would have certainly won that. Remember the real winners are The Children's Bereavment Center and all of us being able to get together and enjoy the progress on each others cars.
Jimbo

Well put Jimbo. I couldn't agree more. I was really diggin the van too but I am biased towards bmw's haha.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:
Doc, you are wrong about this car. That belongs to Joseph and he does stereo and electronics installs and details cars on the side, so he absolutely knows how to fix up and detail cars. Here's his website....http://www.crystalworks.gotstang.com/.

Respectfully, thats great Jimbo. But I'm wrong by thinking this car was detailed and clean?

Jimbo Roberts wrote:
He also had to replace the original engine, I know because I helped (just a little) pull the old one out and put a new one in. The car was a true beater to begin with short of needing major body work. The paint was trashed and he polished it out amoung the many things he did. He also changed many other parts to make the car look the way it is today. And then there is the turbo install which he did himself. So yes it has been a project car with over a year in transformation to get it to it's present condition. Everything that was done to that car has Joseph's fingerprints all over them. And you know project cars are never finished but sometimes they look that way.

I fully subscribe to the "built not bought" ideals, I never once said or even thought he didn't have his hands all over it. Just that it was a little nice to be in a project class.

Jimbo Roberts wrote:
I don't think he is finished modifying it yet. And Doc you should know better than anyone that the day a true gearhead is through modifying a car is the day he sells it.

I doubt he is, they are never done but there comes a point where you realize it and start refining. Is it still a project then? Sure...but when isn't it? If what you are saying is true, this years AMBR was a project, right? And in addition to that, you're saying every car there was a project car. That being said was this beautiful E30 the "best" car there? I don't think so.

Jimbo Roberts wrote:
You should ask questions and know before you start making assumptions and posting your opinions.
Jimbo

Jimbo, seriously? Open forum, constructive crit right? I didn't bash the car or the show, both were awesome... But come on, the CC is something to be expected. Suggestions, and as you said OPINIONS. I'm entitled to mine just as you are yours. My OPINION is that the car was a super nice "project." A little too nice to be separated from the rest of the 'pack' if you will.

BTW- the 2009 AMBR "project"

Just my OPINION.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

pictures
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v683/gabe2222222/Tower%20Show/

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:54 pm

DocLong wrote:
I fully subscribe to the "built not bought" ideals, I never once said or even thought he didn't have his hands all over it. Just that it was a little nice to be in a project class.

Obviously you guys just have different opinions on what constitutes a project. Honestly, almost any car constitutes a project car to me... but it can't just have money thrown at it. Must be something the owner has built to his/her tastes... preferably on a budget.

I don't however agree that a project car has to look unattractive. LOL it took ENTIRELY too much cutting, polishing, waxing, and buffing to get that car looking as "good" as it did. I daily drive that car and just keeping it clean by my standards is a project in and of itself (I dust it off after almost every stop, ya I'm that guy :) ). The car has come a very long way, but I don't think I will ever be able to not consider it a project.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

I would say that above anything else i think that the categories just need to be re-vamped. its getting a much more wide variety of cars now.
as an example best air cooled.......how many were there like 3 or 4. that really narrowed the field down for those few cars to walk away with a major trophy while (just using as an example) my car didnt have another field to belong in, besides best of show which was up against everyone. Im not sure if i was even entered in the "sportscar" category. i know its a sportscar now after the mods but im not sure how you guys classify the cars. so i think a more broad range of categories would be a nice change, since we have a more diverse car selection being shown now.

i would love to see a "best rocketship" category.....lol judges ride for free!!!

and im just using air-cooled as an example, im not that familiar with them so there might have been 10 there and i would never know it....im just trying to get my point accross.....lol

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:39 pm

jake. wrote:
Clay should have won Best in show,

Swapped motor
Shaved bay
Bodywork
Mint paint
Coraddo dash

all kinds of good ****.

All of that and he couldn't even clean it...

Call me a neat freak, but first and foremost, if you show up to a show with a car that is riddled with waterspots and dirt, you should expect nothing when awards come. Some people might say, "well you don't daily yours, so...blah, blah, blah". Well my car still gets dirty, and I still take the time and effort to clean it. I spent about 10 hours total detailing my car the Friday and Saturday before the show and if someone REALLY wanted to, they could've taken that engine detail trophy away from me. The same goes for any other trophy. I saw so many cars there with the potential to make the judges so confused on who should win, but alot of people don't put forth the effort. The way I see it, if you don't put forth the effort, you have no reason to gripe when you don't win.

Honestly, I didn't even look at the BOS winner, so I can't say anything about that. I wish I had, but BMWs are weaksauce, so I wasn't worried. :finga: I was kinda surprised that Javi didn't win though. That car is about as perfect as it gets. :thumbsup:

Ok, that was my .02 take it for what its worth.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:23 pm
Administrator

Fast1 wrote:
Also any car with a closed hood or dirty engine bay should not get best of show.

Hell, in that case, I should have opened the hood on the ML. :mrgreen: It's SPOTLESS and freshly detailed.

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:38 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

Well, if you ask me.........ah, nevermind.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the love and criticism. I know all the aluminum stuff needs a re-polish and the 3-hour drive there that morning didn't help any while trying to keep it clean, but I was just happy to make it out.

-Clay

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 pm
Ride Height Police

no problem man, you own my favorite mkII ever, even better that its somewhat local

fabulousstreetscene.blogspot.com

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 am

must admit i loved your car and that mkV jetta with near perfect stance and wheel fitment
both were sick, can't get everything perfect all the time
but very well done mkII

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Schnitzer323CI wrote:
Honestly, almost any car constitutes a project car to me... but it can't just have money thrown at it. Must be something the owner has built to his/her tastes... preferably on a budget.

why does having more money to spend make it less of a project? I have more money to spend on mods than most ppl but that doesnt make my car any less of a project, and it sure as hell doesnt mean that i put less effort into it. So basically your saying , at a show, your income should determine the outcome, not the overall machine? thats kind of rediculous.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:58 pm
SEA Supporter

microsa wrote:
Well, if you ask me.........ah, nevermind.

Ahahahahahaha! Yeah we know how you feel about car shows.

Don't forget your EU brothers were there also.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 pm

NVMYM3 wrote:
why does having more money to spend make it less of a project?

It doesn't...

NVMYM3 wrote:
I have more money to spend on mods than most ppl but that doesnt make my car any less of a project, and it sure as hell doesnt mean that i put less effort into it.

Not going respond to that as it will probably just rile you up more (I don't know exactly what work you have performed to your car and what someone else has done, except for it being sent to Cali for supercharger/tuning work)... but again, spending money on it doesn't make it less of a project. I've spent quite a bit on mine as well, compared to vehicle cost/worth, but have done all the work with friends or myself.

NVMYM3 wrote:
So basically your saying , at a show, your income should determine the outcome, not the overall machine? thats kind of rediculous.

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying... :-? Of course not.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
SEA Enforcer

Ok. That's enough of this.

Kwitcherbitchin, all of ya.

1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (wife's)
Taking the whole-assed approach to cheap cars, since 1997.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:39 am
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3