Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 

New post Re: Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
normally i dont like chrome, but all black with chrome, Bentley wheels, that is a good combination. Well, all Germans are doing the big wheels and chrome thing nowadays anyways.... I always wanted a thread like this btw

twitter.com/dbctuning aim:dbcperformance

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

ABTsportsline wrote:
(same "nova check" pattern as the airbag cover)

Zee pattern tis called "burbery". Enjoy!
I dig what you've done so far. Well done on the handle work too. I'm curious, did you split the fabric on the airbag? Might want to give it a tear seam there.

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Token Leghumper

Sales@DBCPerformance wrote:
normally i dont like chrome, but all black with chrome, Bentley wheels, that is a good combination. Well, all Germans are doing the big wheels and chrome thing nowadays anyways.... I always wanted a thread like this btw

i normally dislike chrome as well. the story behind these is i originally wanted them in silver. spent months looking online and couldn't find a set. Finally found a chrome set online, figured i'd get them stripped down to silver. But when i opened the boxes with the wheels and test-fitted them to the car, i thought they looked pretty good and that i could pull them off with the chrome trim on the front. since everyone was de-chroming their mk5's, i thought i'd go the other direction. throw in some chrome mirror covers to finish it off and it works..... in my opinion anyway :mrgreen:

Termite wrote:
ABTsportsline wrote:
(same "nova check" pattern as the airbag cover)

Zee pattern tis called "burbery". Enjoy!
I dig what you've done so far. Well done on the handle work too. I'm curious, did you split the fabric on the airbag? Might want to give it a tear seam there.

"Burberry" is the company/brand, not the name of the pattern. They actually have many different patterns each with different names. :cheers:

the fabric is very light - no seam was necessary. this fabric would tear if you pulled it apart with your bare hands, so it shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup: It was so light that it was a real pain to wrap and get to adhere. any reasonable amounts of glue would stain the fabric (note to self: NEVER AGAIN! :mrgreen: ). Ended up using a light layer of 3M spray adhesive and running a glue-gun bead along the middle strip & backside of the airbag cover to really make it hold. the door handles are a serious PITA. I have a huge respect for anyone that has done these on a mk3 (easier on a mk2 as you don't have that crease in the beltline that interferes with the door handle). More difficult than the bodywork was the mechanics of making the handle assembly work to open the doors. The actuator mechanism is completely different from the VW system, so each door requires an engineering alteration to get to work. I've spent months alone on the doors, i'm ready to be done! :rr:

thanks for all the positive comments guys! :partyman:

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am
Angry White Guy

The cars look fantastic, Rob! But, then again, I would expect nothing less from you. Good to see you post. Haven't heard from you in a LONG while.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 am
Resident Prick

Damn. Talk about blast from the past.

MkV R32 - Deep Blue - #1488
| Hardwired V1 | Pioneer AVIC Z120BT | Focal 165VR3 | Focal 165V30 | JL Audio 10W6v2 | JL Audio HD 900/5 | OEM Dash Cubby | TunerDomes LEDs | R Line Floor Mats | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Rear Sway | C2 Power-Flash | EVOMS V-Flow Intake | Magnaflow Sport Exhaust | Adam's Rotors | 19" Work VS-XX |
DBC Tuning

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:07 pm
Ride Height Police

nice mk3, i heart nothelles, i talked to you a while ago on vwvortex, i used to have that bagged four door rabbit.

fabulousstreetscene.blogspot.com

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 am
SEA Supporter

jake. wrote:
nice mk3, i heart nothelles, i talked to you a while ago on vwvortex, i used to have that bagged four door rabbit.

Wasn't it only bagged for like a week or something?

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am
Ride Height Police

For about the time an automatic m3 was cool. AKA not very long.

fabulousstreetscene.blogspot.com

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 am

jake. wrote:

snap!

The Reflective Touch
Affordable Automotive Detailing Service!

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 pm
SEA Supporter

jake. wrote:

Ahh good one but I bet it can still smoke ya on the track homie. Don't believe me just ask somebody. :butthead:

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:43 am

mmmmmmmm hawtness

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 pm
Profile YIM
Token Leghumper

updates on the mk3:

shaved handles all the way around:

made my own set of all-red tails, complete with candy apple red paint & clear (this was just after final coat of clear, before wet sanding, so don't mind the orange peel :mrgreen: )

just seeing what this old Rieger lip looks like (purchased a used beat-up one, repairing it now)

just fitted a new wheel:

also just shaved washer nozzles, and am currently installing an alarm with relays to operate the door poppers. In the next month or two I'll start shaving the rub strips on the doors. I am trying to locate a nice set of Recaro Trophies to recover in a leather/suede combination. I also plan to shave & fill the front bumper, but i'm not just deleting the turns - i'm going to take apart the headlights and insert custom turn signals on the edge of the housings, outside of the lens area but within the housing. They'll be behind tinted lexan, so you won't see them unless i hit the turn signals. I also picked up some G60 brakes and 11" rotors to slap on this thing. I'm also currently building a 2.0 aba/16v turbo, using the aba bottom end and a 16v head. Just finished dynamatting the entire car, sounds quiet like a Mk5 inside now :mrgreen:

the Mk5 has been relegated to the back burner while i do the damage to the mk3.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:45 am
Token Leghumper

got a sweet new roller of the mk5 though:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:49 am
Administrator

:thumbsup:

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A