Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 
Post Whore

New post Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
Removing the "girls car" stigma, one person at a time!
By Ruben Pina Jr.
Photography by Ruben Pina Jr.
Photos edited by Jeremy Kiniski
March 2006

Everyone has heard it, "Cabrio's are girls cars!" Well one look at this car and that saying goes out the window. The color alone on this car is amazing! This isn't the first of rare or amazing cars that Rob has owner either. Since he was old enough to get a car he has always been infatuated with European cars. He feels that the style and class that a European car possesses cannot be surpassed. Not to say Rob has been entirely faithful to his European car heritage though. He also has a Turbo Civic, Chevy Avalanche, Ford Mustang, and a Chevy Blazer tarnishing his record. :D

We can go through the list of cars that Rob has owned in the past and their mod list but this will end up being at least three pages long. So let's just mention the more important ones...He has owned a 2003 20th Anniversary GTI, Mini Cooper S, BMW M5, a supercharged MKIII VR6, and an assortment of air cooled VW's. And don't make the mistake of thinking any of these cars was stock. Rob believes that the essence of having a car is what you do to it after you have bought it. He shows this with every car he has purchased so far. Every car has been touched in someway by his magical hands. Of course he makes sure that all mods stay with the esprit de corps of the club. If not, Scott will make sure and let him know.

Rob recently acquired this car in February of this year and hasn't had much time to do much more to it than what was already done. So far though he has put on a Neuspeed P-flow intake and is working on upgrading the sound system. He says that the sound system is a work in progress but promises to make sure that the sound system matches the "clean and euro" look that the rest of the car possesses. One thing I have noticed about Rob though is no matter what he does to his cars, he usually takes a long time to do it. And the main reason is because he puts a lot of research into the stuff he is going to put on his cars.

The first thing I noticed about this Cabrio is the ride height and the wheels. It is very hard to make 18 inch wheels look good on a MKIII but this car pulls it off quite nicely. The Weitec coilovers allows Rob to put the car low enough to slightly tuck the front wheels and really make the wheels look gorgeous on this ride. The only down side is that with the low ride height you have to constantly watch where you are going. I got to experience this first hand riding around with Rob. The ride is harsh but not as bad as I thought it would be for a car so low. It doesn't help much when you have 35 series tires either.

One look at this car and it is obvious that suspension isn't the only thing done to this car. This Cabrio has been fitted with European front and rear bumpers and some sweet sideskirts. This is achieved by replacing the rebar and radiator support in the front with a European radiator support and rebar. With those changes comes the Hella smoked E-code headlights. These really pull off a OEM look while providing much better visiblity at night. To finish off all the European gear on the car is a German VR6 front lip. This lip is an inch or two taller than the stock GTI lip and adds so much to this ride. Have to watch out for those bumps though because this car is really low with this lip.

The interior of the car has been fitted with a Momo steering wheel, European glove box, and a full MFA on-board computer. So Rob can now monitor his fuel consumption, miles traveled, outside temperature, etc. He also has a Whitsler hide away radar detector in there. From riding around with Rob I know for sure that this thing works and I might have to do some of the same on my MKIII. I also noticed that he has a very nice short shifter in his car. I am kind of jealous because I dont think the shift on my short shifter is quite and short as his. I am happy for him though......really!

What can I say, I love Volkswagens and this car really does it for me. I don't know if it is the unique color, ride height, VR6 engine, European aesthetic mods, or a combination of everything. Regardless of what it is, this car is one stunning example of a well done Cabrio. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this car as Rob goes to town in the modification department. Stick around and see what the future holds for this car!

Pictures:
http://www.strictlyea.com/pictures/members/rob/cotm/

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Last edited by SooprmanX on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
congrats rob, from the first pics a couple weeks ago, I knew this was comin.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:44 pm
O RLY

New post 
love that cinnamon spice red..

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reposter of the Century!

New post 
congrats :supz:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:27 pm
Administrator

New post 
congrats bro

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
EuroTuned

New post 
nice... :bowdown:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 pm
Little McGyver

New post 
Nice photos! :eek:

Congrats Rob. :thumbsup:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:20 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
thanks everyone.... ruben, killer writeup! nice pics too!

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:25 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
Great write up and nice pics! :thumbsup:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:22 pm

New post 
Grate pics

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Yes it is a very beautiful car. Rob, you should post the pics up on the Vortex and see the reception. Unless you want me to, I like adding to my post count on there. :thumbsup: I also changed the front page of the website. Just click "Home" at the top of this page.

Edit: Too late! http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2508545 :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Token Leghumper

New post 
heh, sweet thread on the 'tex! i posted in it, glad to see all the positive reactions!

also love the cover page for the site now! :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:14 pm

New post 
That's one fine lookin' dub!

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:08 pm
The Guru

New post 
Someone needs to write "I will not use gaussian blur without wacom" on the black board 50times.

;)

Pretty badass shot's, love the car. Ah and that color is just bliss.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Genius

New post 
It wasn't the guass blur, and I did it with my touchpad on my laptop. :rofl:

I only did it on 1 photo though, didn't think anyone would really notice...

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:26 am

New post 
Sweet car Rob - congrats on the well-deserved COTM!

The pics look sweet too. Cabrio was definitely the way to go - even if meant you had to lose the radio and A/C ;)

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:40 am
SEA Supporter

New post 
Congrats man, lookin good!

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:44 am
Token Leghumper

New post 
TiAgZ4 wrote:
Sweet car Rob - congrats on the well-deserved COTM!

The pics look sweet too. Cabrio was definitely the way to go - even if meant you had to lose the radio and A/C ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

thanks!

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:57 pm

New post 
Looks good.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:12 pm

New post 
Without a doubt a sweet ride, and excellent choice for car of the month, nice going!
Just curious, is there a vote, or discussion, I probably missed it, guess I'll have to come around more often

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:13 pm
Profile YIM
Post Whore

New post 
vdub18t wrote:
Without a doubt a sweet ride, and excellent choice for car of the month, nice going!
Just curious, is there a vote, or discussion, I probably missed it, guess I'll have to come around more often

Nah no vote or discussion, just kind of an executive decision thing right now. :mrgreen: Keeps it a surprise. :thumbsup:

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Resident Prick

New post 
It's ok I guess.

MkV R32 - Deep Blue - #1488
| Hardwired V1 | Pioneer AVIC Z120BT | Focal 165VR3 | Focal 165V30 | JL Audio 10W6v2 | JL Audio HD 900/5 | OEM Dash Cubby | TunerDomes LEDs | R Line Floor Mats | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Rear Sway | C2 Power-Flash | EVOMS V-Flow Intake | Magnaflow Sport Exhaust | Adam's Rotors | 19" Work VS-XX |
DBC Tuning

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 pm

New post Re: Featured Car - Rob's 1996 Volkswagen Cabrio
This car ended up in Cincinnati IIRC....I remember the brothers who built the white VRTT rado owning this one...then it went someplace else, and bounced around a few different SWOV.org/DUBDOJO.com members....

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW

wow man!!! nice cabrio... congrats!!! :bowdown: ... and really nice pics!!

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm
BM Double Jew

Haha ^

Thanks.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:58 pm
Administrator

Holy 2006 Batman! ^

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:23 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

rob is driving an audi allroad, dropped on 20s, cabrio was long gone

twitter.com/dbctuning aim:dbcperformance

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Token Leghumper

Sales@DBCPerformance wrote:
rob is driving an audi allroad, dropped on 20s, cabrio was long gone

i was, but moved back to VW.... two VW's, actually.

don't mean to be a whore, but since this was my thread in the first place, why not, right? :mrgreen:

after the cabrio, i went to an Audi Allroad, ton of mods, engine upgrades, and ridiculous sound system:

then more recently switched to a jetta TDI:

yes, i know they are bentley wheels and i don't care. i like them. :thumbsup:

oh i also bought a project car last year (a car i plan to keep this time). it's a mk3 jetta, which i have been doing my own bodywork to.
i put a set of Nothelle n-classics on it as i'm an old school water-pumper whore, anyone who's been in the game could appreciate these wheels, no? :mrgreen: (crappy phone pic)

putting in Audi door handles:
finished version:

shaving/filling the rear:
trunk finished:

wrapped the passenger airbag cover in burberry, and also have a leather purse i tore apart that has now become my shift boot (same "nova check" pattern as the airbag cover) :mrgreen:

:thumbsup:

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 pm

nice TDI..... and the mk3 its going well :supz:

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 pm

those wheels are a great fit on the mk3, looks like it's coming along well.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm
Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next