Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Article and pictures for Volkfest 2006
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Article and pictures for Volkfest 2006 
Post Whore

New post Article and pictures for Volkfest 2006
There couldn't be any good shows down in McAllen right? Wrong! This year's Volkspeed Fest was a blast. I have to say, the drive down there wasn't bad at all. I thought it was going to be a long, boring drive but it turned out to be smooth sailing and not as long as I had thought. Something about the trip down there makes you feel as if you aren't driving as far as you are really driving. And being that this season there are tons of butterflies out roaming the earth looking for cars to destroy, we taped up our rides before we left so that we wouldn't have to wash our cars all over again once we got down there. It ended up working quite well.

Being that we were traveling up there the night before we knew we were in no rush to make it there fast. So, of course, we had to make a lot of pit stops along the way to eat and such. First stop was made approximately 25 minutes into the trip. What can I say? We were hungry! But we got our grub on and made it back out onto the road again. It took us a good five hours to make it down there because of all the breaks that we were taking.

We woke up bright and early the next morning, cleaned up the whips a little bit and headed out to the show which was only a few blocks from the hotel. There already was a good amount of cars there when we got there as to be expected from Club Volkspeed. This year they had it sections out according to the make of your car and the generation that it falls under. I thought that was a pretty cool little setup because you could compare different cars more easily since they are all grouped together. There were a good amount of MK4 Jetta's and GTI's and a good amount of Watercooled cars. I was one of only three MK3 GTI's and I think there was something like 5-6 MK3 Jetta's. There was even less Audi's in the classes and only one Seat.

There were some absolutely amazing water cooled rides there. There was the red bus over to the left that just blew me away. I would trade my car for that car without hesistation. It had Porshe wheels and seats, Momo steering wheel and shift knob, tricked out engine, and so much more. I could not believe that it didn't win best of show, I think it well deserved best of show this year. There were some other very nice water cooled rides there as well.
There was a trick looking yellow bug that was slammed to the ground with crazy camber in the back. Yeah, yeah I know that isn't good for anything but it sure does look cool! I love the use of the roof racks on the old water cooled cars. They have some really cool stuff up on them too.

There were also some very nice water cooled VW's making an appearance at the show. One notable was the GLI to the right. It was a beautiful example of how a GLI should look. There were a few things that I didn't like too much on it like the sticker across the eyebrow, but for the most part I loved the car. Maybe it has something to do with me being partial to Platinum grey though. Nevertheless it was a beautiful car. There was also a very nice, blue R32 that had a nice VW emblem airbrushed onto the hood. Yes, I know air brushing can be ghetto and 80's style but I think this was done tastefully and looked really good. I give him props for the styling on the car. I especially love the wheels on it.

There was also some cool cars that you don't see here in the states. There were two beautiful Audi S3's down there at the show. Both of them looked really nice and the yellow one had a very nice sound system in it. I never get tired of seeing those cars. There was also a Seat out at the show. That thing was a sleeper if there ever was one! It had a huge GT-32 turbo sitting under the hood and a nice size front mount intercooler in the front. There were
were obviously plenty of other mods on the car but the turbo was the major modification done to the car. I still don't understand why they don't bring those cars over to the states, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

All in all I had tons of fun at the show. I thought the end was a little drawn out and that it could have ended about an hour earlier than it did but I still enjoyed being there. I think it was a good location with a good mix of cars. There were unfortunately less cars this year than there were last year but I think next year should probably be better. I am going to try to get a lot more people to head down there with me next year as this is one event that was definately worth the drive. Enjoy the rest of the pics and sorry I didn't give a more in depth review of the show, but I am tired!

Pictures:
http://www.strictlyea.com/pictures/8132006volkfest/

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
nice pictures. That black/red old vw bus was really nice.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:47 am

New post 
great pics.

I never had the patients to deal with painters tape, having to put it on, peal it off, then wash and put a light coat of wax on my car. I just let it wear its scars as a badge of honor.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:13 am
Post Whore

New post 
Well it was more to keep the butterflies from killing the cars than it was rocks. Butterflies are super hard to get off the car so I didn't want to have to deal with that once we got there.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
hmm never thought about that.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 am

New post 
and its really not even hard. took like 10 minutes for each car. taking it off took the same, except for the applying of the thin coat of wax.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:29 pm
Profile YIM
EuroTuned

New post 
Mitt wrote:
hmm never thought about that.

It makes alot of noise if you dont put it on correctly. Its all common sense though, just put it on in such a way that it has less wind resistance.

We learned first hand how to put it on.....:banghead:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:05 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
the tape was a good idea and is funny!

but when did Terrell get Lambo doors????

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:38 am
Post Whore

New post 
:eek:

That's one good photoshop! I had to go and look at the pictures again because I was didn't realize he had the same wheels, headlights, license plate, etc. :rofl:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Token Leghumper

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
:eek:

That's one good photoshop! I had to go and look at the pictures again because I was didn't realize he had the same wheels, headlights, license plate, etc. :rofl:

he didn't.... i photochopped all that, lol!

Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 am

New post 
hey ruben, that black and red transporter that you liked, they go up on the drmo auctions down here everyonce in awhile and there is a conversion to put a water cooled engine in those so they are even cooler. i had a friend with one in nc and i could never get him to trade me for my ghia. if i see one at the auction listing or for sale around here, you want me to let you know ahead of schedule? they use them on nas ingleside as work trucks.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 am
Post Whore

New post 
ABTsportsline wrote:

I know, that's what I'm saying. I guess I had a dunc moment when I was typing my response. :lol:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
Post Whore

New post 
superj wrote:
hey ruben, that black and red transporter that you liked, they go up on the drmo auctions down here everyonce in awhile and there is a conversion to put a water cooled engine in those so they are even cooler. i had a friend with one in nc and i could never get him to trade me for my ghia. if i see one at the auction listing or for sale around here, you want me to let you know ahead of schedule? they use them on nas ingleside as work trucks.

Nah it's cool, I love those cars/trucks but I don't have the time to do anything to one. One day though!

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Token Leghumper

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
ABTsportsline wrote:

I know, that's what I'm saying. I guess I had a dunc moment when I was typing my response. :lol:

:rofl:

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:45 am
EuroTuned

New post 
Lol nice pshop Rob, that car was kinda banged up on the right rear door. He got a peoples choice award.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:32 pm
Post Whore

New post 
And here is the BMW that won best BMW. You can't hate because it was the only BMW there.

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
he sure does put up some comp for bmwjigga :bling:

'99 GTI VR6 R.I.P
'01 MUSTANG GT

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:34 pm

New post 
I didn't know the GLI was air-cooled?! :-?

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:56 pm

New post 
99vrspik wrote:

Hey, i happen to love my rims!! :thumbsup:

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:53 am
EuroTuned

New post 
BMWjiggaB wrote:
99vrspik wrote:

Hey, i happen to love my rims!! :thumbsup: