Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Featured Event - Octoberfest 2006
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Featured Event - Octoberfest 2006 
Post Whore

New post Featured Event - Octoberfest 2006
If there's one show every year that I look forward to it's Oktoberfest put on by the good people over at VOSA club. What makes this show so great is that there is always the perfect mix of good people, beautiful cars, great weather, a great venue, and wonderful downtown Boerne, Texas. This show has been going on for 14 years running now and shows no sign of letting up. This is the one Volkswagen show that every Volkswagen owner and enthusiasts needs to put on their calendar. Even if you just go for the shopping at downtown Boerne then it's worth it. They have some really nice shopping over there.

Traditionally this is an air-cooled only show but a few years ago there started to be some water-cooled rides that joined in on the fun. It has blossomed to what it is today, a very balanced amount of air-cooled and water-cooled cars. There are still more air-cooled cars than there are water-cooled cars, at least this year, but it is good to see the both of them parked in the same area without chairs flying and tempers going crazy like is the case in other parts of the country when these two groups get together. Everyone is to thank for that.

That being said, there were your V-Dub enthusiasts from all over the great state of Texas making it to this show. Ramon and his supercharged R32 made it to the show like always and I must say that his car is really coming along. Some might say that there is a little too much going on with the car but I still love it. Something about having a supercharged R32 makes me really love the car. This car is definitely one that draws a crowd. There were also a few other Houstonians that made the trek, many from EuropeanAG. Thanks for making the trip down here guys, it is always good to hang out with you guys and talking about dubs with you all.

There was also Julio and his gang of guys from Volkspeed down in McAllen. You wanna talk about hardcore guys, these guys make it to Volkswagen shows all over Texas and Mexico. You can find them at almost any big Volkswagen show regardless of how far they are from the show. They are really what you would call enthusiasts. There was also a few guys down from Dallas with VDubaddiction that made the trek. That is about as far as McAllen so we really appreciate them coming down for that. There was also a good amount of guys from our Austin chapter that came down, honorable mention being Jacob for organizing the drive down here. Thanks Jacob for all the work you put in for us up there! And making their classic, stylishly late appearing, SGP made quite a good showing at the show. ;)

Overall I was very happy with the showing of the water-cooled guys. There was a good mix of everything including some of the new bugs. How could you not love the Shamu bug? That thing is pretty cool in person. Thanks to everyone in our club who showed up, I really do appreciate it when you guys show up. And as for you out of towners from the air-cooled gangs, I wish I could mention you all but I really don't know any of the out of town people. Hopefully as I go to more of the shows I will meet some of the clubs and get to know you all better.

One thing about the air-cooled shows that I love every time I go is the creativity. There is always so much creativity when it comes to how the show is put on, how the cars are modded, and the displays. You can look all around and see cool little setups that really make you wish you drove one of these cars so you could do one. I especially loved how a few of the cars had a little model version of their cars. They even had them painted the same way and in some cases even had the same wheels on the models. It was really a cool site to see. Another thing I love about these air cooled rides is the use of flat paint on the cars. There's nothing I love more than a slammed Volkswagen with a flat paint job.

The more air-cooled shows that I go to the more I fall in love with the old Volkswagen busses. Those things are so cool! I especially love the two-tone one to the right. The bus is decked out with screens, wood floors, custom interior, custom paint, custom sound system, and the list could go on. I have seen the car and few times and can't get enough of it every time I see it. There is also another bus that I fell in love with. And I know I am going to call this the wrong thing but it is like a bus-truck looking thing. :) It had the Bentley's Paint Co. on the side of the truck and was in great condition. The car had so much creativity, one of these days I will own one of these trucks.

There was also a huge mix of notchbacks, bugs, dune buggies, and tons of other air-cooled rides. Excuse my ignorance when I talk about these cars, I really don't know much about them other than they look sick. Take a look at this rust bucket over to the side. This car is exactly what I love to see at these shows; an old school ride slammed, with rust and a roof rack. That is true dubbin' for me. One day I will be gangster enough to have one of these. ;) There were countless other examples like this car all over the place at this show. I would spend way too much time naming and talking about them all.

There is also a big swap meet and vendor area at the show with all types of different stuff to buy. There are vendors selling old car parts to jewelry to model cars. You can really find some cool stuff at these vendor areas. I saw a nice VW emblem that I was going to buy after I ate some breakfast and when I came back from eating I saw it on the hood of a car that was showing! The prices on these items are dirt cheap so if you see something you want you really have to grab it fast before anyone else does. The only thing I wish they had this year is someone with a BBQ pit selling some food. I bet they could make a killin' if they had some good BBQ going. Maybe next year someone will pick up on that and make some money doing it.

Anyways, enough from me, I have been going too long once again. I could go on and on about this show, it is the show I really do look forward to going to every year. Only thing I hope for next year is a little more trophies for the water-cooled guys but whether or not that happens won't keep me from coming to the show. And as you can see on the left, our good friend and member Matt did walk away with a trophy! Anyways, keep an eye out for this show next year, it is truly one that you don't want to miss. In the meantime there are plenty of other shows that we will try to be covering and I hope to see you at those shows. Keep dubbin' and see you guys later!

Pictures:
http://www.strictlyea.com/pictures/10222006octoberfest/

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post Whore

New post 
Wow, no love? :-(

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Sick pics. I love the old air-cooled VWs. My friend's mom drives an old rusty bug, and I tell him all the time that car is so cool. He just doesn't seem to understand.

BMWCCA 380364

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:36 pm
Profile WWW

New post 
those aircooled pick ups are called single cab transporters. all those vw buses are so cool. i've always wanted an aircooled van with the doors on each side. they are from the 50s and early 60 but man are they cool.

those single cab transporters came in double cabs also which is another version that i would love to have.

i just love air cooled vws anyways though as i've had two karmann ghias and two bugs. christina and i made it to the bug nationals in winston salem north carolina one year and it was so freaking cool. we saw vw stuff that i had never even heard of.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 pm

New post 
A friend of mine had a orange Thing. A couple of friends and I took it apart in the parkinglot at school during lunch once. We got detention for the rest of the year for that. :-(

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:40 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Mitt wrote:
A friend of mine had a orange Thing. A couple of friends and I took it apart in the parkinglot at school during lunch once. We got detention for the rest of the year for that. :-(

:rofl:

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

New post 
good show, that fiat was SICK

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
I'm in the like two of the pictures ya! Austin Represent

Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

New post 
awesome show, cant wait for the next one

banana bike HD 883

matt

Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:31 pm

New post 
whats a torphy?

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 pm

New post 
i want a torphy too!!

2012 lightning phantom 2

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 pm
Post Whore

New post 

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
herIS wrote:
whats a torphy?

haha i was acting like a da-da-da and i thought that i should spell like one too

banana bike HD 883

matt

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
lol, looks more like..

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
:rofl: @ new quote. Whats even funnier is that all you watercooler guys were BSing and they were calling you all out for awards and when we told you that you won an award you were all like no I didn't did I. :-? confused and bewildered.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:16 am
Site Sponsor

New post 
Excellent write up, Ruben and thanks for the pics :thumbsup:

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:35 am

New post 
loonibab325i wrote:
lol, looks more like..

banana bike HD 883

matt

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:48 am

New post 

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 pm

New post 
who the hell is kenny loggins :-?

banana bike HD 883

matt

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:31 pm

New post 
http://www.kennyloggins.com/

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:33 pm
Post Whore

New post 
candywhitevdub wrote:
who the hell is kenny loggins :-?

That's what I said at first. Then I laughed. :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]