Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - A warning to potential customers of DBC.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
A warning to potential customers of DBC. 

New post A warning to potential customers of DBC.
Before you read this, know two facts. I am not an idiot when it comes to cars and I have known the owners of DBC for 4 years. I have considered them my friends, and I would have done a lot for these guys. I am not benefiting in any way from this and will most likely lose some friends that I enjoy having. The only reason I am posting this is because of the complete lack of ethics used by this company. I hope that I can prevent other people from going through the same things that I have had to experience.

I dropped my 2001 VW Jetta VR6 Turbo off on Mar 24 at around 9:30 am at DBC for an oil change and to have them check the coolant hoses for possible leaks and replace them if necessary. Told them to take their time with it because I was needing the garage for all of my furniture while the carpet was being installed. I told them that I would be able to pick the car up on the 4th of April.

The week of the 28th of March, I received a PM on VWVortex from a potential buyer in McAllen, TX. He said that he was able to pay cash for the car without the wheels for $8000. We made plans for him to meet me at DBC on the 1st of April so that he could check it out. When I received this news, I called DBC and made them aware of the situation. They told me that they had done the oil change, and found that the hoses did not need to be replaced, instead there was a coupling that was loose. They tightened the coupling and that fixed the problem. They also mentioned that the car had a misfire on cylinder five. Upon hearing this, I told them that it was ok, that the car always had some random misfire. Every time I had diagnosed the car in the past with a VAGCOM, there was always one or two cylinders with an intermittent misfire. DBC said, ok as long as you know about it.

On Friday, the 1st of April, I took off work at 2:00 to meet with the potential buy from McAllen. When I reached DBC, I took the buyer on a test drive to show him the car in specifics. As I pulled away from the shop, I noticed that the car sounded different and was lacking on responsiveness. After driving it around for 5 minutes, I told the buyer that I believed something was wrong and that I would go back to the shop to find out. Once I got back to DBC, I asked the tech what he thought it could be. He said that it was the misfire that they had told me about. After some explaining, it was explained to me that cylinder five was not firing at all, not just intermittent misfires as I had assumed. We tried to fix the problem by replacing the plugs (which was the only thing that we could source at the time) to no avail. I told DBC to figure out what the problem was and have it fixed as soon as possible because that afternoon I had gotten another potential buyer from Phoenix that wanted to purchase the car for the full asking price of $10000. This buyer had sold his 2007 Jetta for the sole intention of purchasing my Jetta. DBC acknowledged the urgency and got to work.

On the week of the 4th of April, I called everyday for updates on the car and by Wednesday, DBC said they had replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coil and the car was complete. I told them I would stop by on Thursday to pay for it, but couldn’t take it then because I didn’t have a second person to help. On Thursday, April 5th, at lunch, I left my work (I work about 1 mile down the road from DBC) and went to the shop to pay for it (the bill was $305). I paid the bill and I asked them if it was ok if I took the car at lunch and dropped it off at 5 and they said it was fine. I wanted to drive it then because it might have been gone that weekend. On my journey back to work, I realized that the car still had a misfire. So after work when I dropped it off, I let DBC know that the misfire was still present and that I NEEDED it fixed ASAP because I had a buyer. I told them to replace the wires just to be sure. The owner told me that he would make sure it got done the following day on Friday.

On Friday afternoon, , April 6th, I called DBC to get a status update. The tech told me that they had not replaced the wires because that was not the problem. He said that they were running other tests to try and figure the problem out. These tests included; compression check of the cylinder, timing check, injector pulse check, and if those didn’t work then they would need to pull the motor apart. I said to just make it quick because I have a buyer.

Monday, April 11th, I called for a status update and they told me that they had done a compression check and it was good and they were moving to check the timing chain. Again I reminded them that I had a buyer and that I needed it done ASAP.

Tuesday, April 12th, I called for an update and they told me that they were still in the process of checking the timing. Again, I told them that I needed it done ASAP.

Wednesday, April 13th, I called for an update and they told me that they hadn’t been able to get to it very much that day because they had some suspensions to do on other vehicles and that Thursday wasn’t looking to good either because they had some other suspensions to do and a turbo install. They said it should be back together by Friday afternoon, though. I said ok and hung up.

Thursday, I didn’t call.

Friday, April 15th, I stopped by DBC at 3:30 pm to check on progress since they said it would be put back together. When I pulled up to the shop I noticed my car was sitting off to the side of the shop and they were inside working on another car doing a shock replacement. I asked how the progress was coming and they said that the problem still wasn’t fixed. I expressed that I felt I was being pushed aside for other customers and remind them that I had $10000 riding on this car getting done. They told me that they had other options they were investigating including a software update with C2 motorsports, but they wouldn’t be able to do that until Tuesday of the following week. I once again asked them to please just get it done as soon as possible.

Later that night after having thought about the entire situation, I thought that it would be best if I were to pick up my car and fix it myself. So on Saturday, April 16th, I drove to DBC without notice to pick up my car.

I arrived at DBC at about 12:30pm on April 16th and walked in to the shop area where one employee had just pulled my car in. He was the only employee there. I told him that I was going to take the car and try and figure it out on my own. He said ok, and didn’t question me. He started talking about the software update and that they could get the files to do it…. While he was talking, as I was standing right next to the trunk of my car, I looked down at the trunk and noticed some marks. I wiped the marks with my fingers and then realized that they were scratches. The ones I noticed first were three large scratches (one on the rear fender above the taillight and two on the trunk) about 4 inches long and all the way to the metal. Then I noticed that there were scratches all over the trunk varying in depth and severity along with chunks missing out of the rear lip spoiler. I immediately asked how this had happened and where the car was parked. The employee told me that they had parked it on the side of the building and in the parking lot and that it was parked inside during the night. I told him to give me my keys and I left. The employee told me before I left that the owner would give me a call on Monday, April 18th.

I spent the remainder of the afternoon troubleshooting the car. There are three things that could be the problem since the compression was checked and showed ok. The three things are lack of ignition, air, or fuel. All of the ignition components were working correctly. If there isn’t any air getting to the cylinder, then I would have bigger problems than a misfire. So this narrows it down to fuel. Checking all of the signals from all of the injector leads, they all read the same. They were all sending the pulses to their injector, including the cylinder five. In addition, after running the motor, if the cylinder five spark plug is pulled along with another cylinder plug, and put side by side, the cylinder five plug is noticeable dry. With this being said, I narrowed it down to the cylinder five injector and as of Monday, April 18th have ordered a 630cc injector to replace the bad one. As soon as I get it, I will replace the faulty one to verify my troubleshooting.

Monday, April 18th, I had not received a call from the owner by 6:30 pm, so I sent a message via Facebook for him to call me. Within 2 minutes my phone rang. I asked if he knew why I wanted him to call and he said no. I asked if his employee had told him about the damage to my car, and he said no. So I explained to him what had happened on Saturday. He asked if I was sure that the scratches weren’t there before I dropped it off. I said of course they were not there. He then told me that he would be willing to pay for the damage. I then told him that I felt as if they were jerking me around and avoiding fixing my car for some reason, he said he could not comment on that since he was not the one working on my car. I told him I would get back with him about getting the car fixed.

I contacted the potential buyer in Arizona on Tuesday, April 19th, to update them with the situation and ask if he wants me to fix the damage or if he would like to fix it and get a discounted price. I did not know how long it would take to replace the custom rear lip spoiler (off of an E46 M3), fix, and paint the trunk and rear fender. The reason I even asked is because he said that he had a shop in Arizona that he trusted and that he wasn’t worried about the damage. He just wants the car to be reliable to drive to Arizona. The injector that was ordered will be delivered at the end of the week.

After installing the injector on Friday, April 22nd, I found that the misfire had been solved, but there was still a rough idle and the car was not able to go passed 5.5K rpms under wide open throttle. The car felt as if the boost would cut out. The code that was showing when I read the computer was “17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation” According to the information online, it could have been 1 or more of the following 3 things: a camshaft position sensor, an engine speed sensor, or the timing chain being installed incorrectly. I ordered the sensors to eliminate them from the equation and installed them. The problem still persisted. Now, I could get a new software program, or change the timing chain, or do something else, but I'm not willing to put $500 down on new software, and then $800 on a new chain, and then ....... I do not have the time or money to deal with this.

At this time, the potential buyer has given up and is not willing to wait any longer. So I have a $10,000 lawn ornament.

I’ll give DBC the same respect they gave me; I can’t say that all of these things happened due to their actions or inactions, but I will say that these problems were not present when I dropped my car off and I had been driving the car everyday for the previous 5 months with no problems whatsoever. There are people who will not agree with what I am doing, but people I respect do. I am only posting this on the local forums because I do not have any experience with DBC as a parts distributor. I am only offering this as a warning to potential local customers.

Finally, the owner of DBC has told me that he is willing to pay for the damages to my car. I turned it down. I do not want money out of this. I want people to be cautious when dealing with DBC.

Our conversations from the very beginning...

On March 20, 2011 6:18:21 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Hey guys, would you guys replace some coolant hoses on the Jetta? I have a ton of stuff going on right now and would like someone that I trust to replace them.
On March 20, 2011 6:20:39 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

Sure thing Josh. Let me know when you are planning to drop it. Looks like Wednesday is the earliest openning i got.

On March 20, 2011 6:22:35 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Probably wont be til the next weekend. If you guys don't work then, I can drop it off with one of you.
On March 20, 2011 6:31:34 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

That sounds good. We do not work on weekends but are open to close the week on saturdays between 10am-2pm
On March 20, 2011 6:36:02 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Cool. I'll shoot for that, and Im not in any hurry since it isn't selling anytime soon. I might have carpet being installed on that day, so I'll let you know as soon as I do when I can get it in.
On March 20, 2011 6:37:38 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

Thanks Josh. Give my love to the family!
On March 20, 2011 6:50:18 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Thanks... you do the same and I'll talk at you later.
On March 22, 2011 3:12:22 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Hey man, change of plans on my end... can I drop the car off on Thursday and you guys take your sweet time on it? Complicated situation, but I need it gone until the 3rd or 4th.
On March 23, 2011 5:05:51 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

I am fine with that Josh

On March 23, 2011 5:11:13 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Cool I'll be there at 9am. I already spoke with someone on the phone about it. See you later!!!
On April 18, 2011 5:06:28 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

****, you need to call me ASAP. My number is 210-324-6177.
On April 19, 2011 5:04:21 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

****, dont worry about fixing my car. The buyer doesn't mind that you guys scratched it all up. Thanks for wasting 3 weeks of my time though. Get better techs and more honest people and you guys might have a shop worth more than Pep Boys.
On April 19, 2011 5:28:14 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

Josh,

I had asked ****, **** and *** about the scratches and they all assured me if that happened at my shop, happened outside not inside the shop! I have full faith in my employees and their word is golden to me. I also owned up this and told you that i would fix it to its full extend.

If you feel we are less than Pep Boys let be it. I am sorry you feel this way, but when "storing your car when you have work done at your house", busting our balls when you have 10 Mexicans at my shop to sell your car, we were far from Pep Boys! We were always under the impression of "No Rush", so we worked your car around our schedule. Your panic attacks when these customers show up for your car is beyond my control. We were short of 2 days of fixing this car, and thats is it.

Once again, whether these scratches happened here or not, OR we lacked to fix your car, we were not short of motivation to help out.

Sorry to hear you are upset, but one thing I learnt in life is to choose words carefully when pissed!

I am still willing to compensate you from "so called inconveniences" and make it up.

On April 19, 2011 5:54:42 PM PDT, Josh Myers wrote:

Let me get this straight…
“I had asked ****, **** and **** about the scratches and they all assured me if that happened at my shop, happened outside not inside the shop!”
Why wasn’t I told the second your employees noticed the scratches? **** looked at the scratches like they were nothing when I brought them up. What would you do if you were in that situation? Probably start cussing and throwing things…
“I have full faith in my employees and their word is golden to me. I also owned up this and told you that i would fix it to its full extend.”
$10,000, ****. $10,000 is what I have waiting for my car the second it is in a condition to be sold. Again, what would you do if you had $10,000 sitting in a shop when it didn’t have to be.
“If you feel we are less than Pep Boys let be it. I am sorry you feel this way, but when "storing your car when you have work done at your house", busting our balls when you have 10 Mexicans at my shop to sell your car, we were far from Pep Boys!”
If you had a problem with it, you should have told me, I could have made other arrangements.
“We were always under the impression of "No Rush", so we worked your car around our schedule. Your panic attacks when these customers show up for your car is beyond my control. We were short of 2 days of fixing this car, and thats is it.”
No rush on an oil change and fixing the coolant hoses, the rush came when the misfire became an issue. In addition, 2 days to fix a misfire is ridiculous. I spent 2 hours with minimal tools and I’ve got it fixed.
“Once again, whether these scratches happened here or not, OR we lacked to fix your car, we were not short of motivation to help out.”
I love how you think that they might not have happened at your shop.
“Sorry to hear you are upset, but one thing I learnt in life is to choose words carefully when pissed!”
*Learned*
“I am still willing to compensate you from "so called inconveniences" and make it up.”
I don’t want a dime from you. I wanted my car to get an oil change, I wanted my coolant leak fixed. Then I wanted my car fixed so I could sell it. You can’t tell me you wouldn’t act the same way over $10,000.

I’m done with this. I suggest you be done with it also.
On April 19, 2011 6:21:46 PM PDT, Dbc Tuning wrote:

Josh,

Once again,

There is no excuses as to you being upset because your car is scratched, period! My problem is being called dishonest as all these guys work for me know clearly that **** happens, we are all humans. If i take a car and crash it beyond my control during test drive I AM liable for it. Just for that reason we cover our bases with insurance.

I know for a fact the car had sat outside during business hours. These damages might have happened then. But man, if **** or ****, **** did it they would come to me immediately.

Sorry you feel ignored, jerked around, shorted, and we are less than Pep Boys! We had no bad intentions but to help.

I hope I (not others) were informed better as to the sense of urgency to this matter when you have buyers.

My compensation offer stands still till i am alive.

Hope the transaction goes through smooth and you sell it.

Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 pm

New post Re: A warning to potential customers of DBC.
Pics of the scratches

Untitled by wolf18t, on Flickr

Tue May 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Not sure what to think. But I know when they did my tune and intake install they didn't install one of the clamps that holds the intake down which comes with the kit. I had to go find one to install it myself so it wouldn't pop off. I never confronted them as I didn't see the need. But still it left a little bit of a bad impression.

I will say though, it sounds like you rushed them too much for something like this. That can make any shop mess up by rushing them. Just my opinion and hope you get the car running again.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 pm

This sucks Josh. Those scratches look like something fell over against the trunk, what, I'm not sure.
The driveablity problems could not have happened at a worse time. I know you have been trying for so long to sell this car. And now that buyer has moved on and your car is still not ready to be driven. You must feel fit to be tied before you lose it. I hope the injector solves your misfire.
Jimbo

Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 pm
Profile ICQ

As OP says, I did everything within our ability and power to help Josh sell his car.

One thing to be clear, whether the scratches happened here or not, which will be a mystery, our offer to fix the car still stands.

To sum up all, car came in for coolant hose replacement, and as Josh agrees, we were asked to store his car because he was having some remodeling at this house. Usually that is something we don't offer, however given the relationship, I told him I would be fine with that. Coolant hoses were fixed in timely manner.

Then, everything goes south when Josh gets these hypothetical buyers. I understand how it feels when you have something in front of you that you have been waiting for a long time, and one little hick up is preventing you from grabbing it. Well, in this case it is not a little hick up. I will try to explain this as professional as I can because Josh's post rewards kindness, at the same time requires a solid response.

This car has had misfires from day 1. I remember when him and I used to hang out early days he moved to San Antonio, car had misfires.

Josh as we all know is very meticulous when it comes to this car. Considering all the things he has done to it, how a simple misfire issue as he describes due to an injector that can be resolved within couple of hours was not fixed all these years? That is amazing.

We have tested new coilpack, spark plugs, ignition wires during investigation as part of trouble shooting. As far as the injector is concerned, we have done a flow test and also electrical test on it while investigating this misfire problem that has been a permanent issue with this car since day one. In order to protect the car's dignity, I am going to reserve our final say on what the real problem would be and I will only and only discuss it Josh if necessary.

We have a clear idea what is causing the problem, and we addressed it Josh. It is not a simple task that can be done in a few hours, and it is costly. To his defense we were given the opportunity to fix it. Given our schedule, work load, we simply could not get to it as quick as we would love to.

We were always under the impression to work on a budget, in no rush till these buyers start showing up. Once buyers pop, we were under the pressure to make things perfect. It did not happen. I apologize for that.

No bad intentions nor negligence were intended. There is no hard feelings to Josh, despite his words of anger which belittles myself, my company, and foremost important my employees whom I stand by 100%. We are bigger than hiding scratches or misinforming customers who want to pay us. We make living out of this, feed our families. I also feel sorry for Josh to see this desperation/panic sale did not go through, but I find it unnecessary to go public in order to discredit us when we offered all our help to make things right. Especially 2 weeks after we were told he is done and through with this.

This will be my final response to this thread.

Berk

twitter.com/dbctuning aim:dbcperformance

Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 am
Profile YIM WWW

I have had problems with DBC performance. After my axle had been replaced, my brakes were put in wrong and my wheels were hand tightened. Luckily, i was able to go to my friend's shop where he tightened them for me and put the brakes on correctly. Within 3 weeks, my brand new CV boot had a hole in it and grease was all inside the rim. I paid these guys $500 for axles and the install. I expect it to be done correctly. After telling them that the CV boot had a hole in it, they were hesitiant to replace it, but did it anyway. After I got my Jetta back, I still noticed shaking in the steering wheel and clicking from the same side (passenger). These are supposed to be OEM axles...I will just spend my money at MJM.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 am

D_Jetta, on a side note, look up Raxles. They are the same price as OEM, but waaaaaayyyyyy better.

Wed May 25, 2011 10:43 am

EAD0001 wrote:
D_Jetta, on a side note, look up Raxles. They are the same price as OEM, but waaaaaayyyyyy better.

Thanks, I will look into those. I'm low I need the best of the best

Wed May 25, 2011 10:52 am
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]