Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Don't gimme no lip baby!!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Don't gimme no lip baby!! 
Little McGyver

New post Don't gimme no lip baby!!
I deceided to install a new lip on the .:R, but the thing is, no one makes a lip for it. If you cruise the 'tex, you'll find a lot of people install the lip that originally came on a SEAT cupra.

I've read every singe seat lip post on the 'tex and I don't think any of them really discussed the inherent problem with it. You know, that problem being that it doesn't fit.

Some of the people on the 'tex just half-ass it. They just jam it on there, force it around and screw it down, but really, doesn't my car deserve more respect than that? So here we go, my seat lip install, complete with snappy photos and quirky anecdotes from yours truely.

I had already removed my front fascia to re-install my center grill. Those of you who were at the mod/detail day may have noticed my lack of grillage. Thats because there's no friggin way are you getting that thing back on without taking off the front fascia. Sure you can remove it without taking the fascia off, but unless you've been genetically engineered by the military to have freakishly small hands forget about getting it back on.

Back to the lip.

So I dragged the entire fascia and lip to my dining room, I mean where else are you going to work on something like this. It was like 75 degrees out, and that's too damn chilly to be working in the garage. Plus my g/f digs it when I do stuff like this. ;) oh yeah!

Check out my cool new heat gun. Up to 1000 degrees baby!!

Take a look at the before, I used the lower splash shields as kind of a template, and you can see the problem. The Seat Cupra has a much rounder nose than the .:R, so even if you bolt it on and bend it further, it won't take care of the fact that the bend starts too early. So I began by first straightening the front leading edge of the lip THEN beginning the bends.

I spent maybe 10-15 minutes of skin searing bending on each side, hey gloves would have been a good idea! :banghead:

Check out the after.. well worth the work :thumbsup:

You can see how much better its going to fit already.

I then flipped the fascia over and began to bolt it down. There was no wrestling, no fighting, it went on like it fit. Like it's supposed to! :mrgreen: Hooray!!

After everything was bolted down it was time to check my handiwork

I used a dremel (I'm a dremel master, really) to drill a small hole and reinforce the ends with a small self tapping screw. I didn't need these screws to hold it on but I figured it was extra insurance again me going all kamikaze with a speed bump. And really, that little tab is just perfect for it. :thumbsup: Isn't it cute!

Then I celebrated my victory! :partyman: and the cold glass felt good against my scorched hands. wheew!

And finally here's a few money shots for good measure. Sorry my car was a bit dusty (big surprise) and the light wasn't so great, but hey, you know you like it!

Overall I'm really happy with the results, it gives a real OEM+ look, and I'm all about it. :thumbsup:

Last edited by steffenme1 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 pm
O RLY

New post 
Nooiice!! Now star working on my rear splitter..

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
EuroTuned

New post 
wow man thats a very nice mod...keep it up... :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 pm
Little McGyver

New post 
My car looked freaky with it's face ripped off...

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:28 pm
Reposter of the Century!

New post 
nice mod

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:31 pm
Administrator

New post 
awesome, i wish i had an R32 to just play with and keep locked up

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
steffenme1 wrote:

So, you have to do this to change a headlight bulb? Lip looks sweet. Looks like everyone is getting lips. :thumbsup:

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:32 am

New post 
Only if you don't have freakishly small hands :goodman:

That looks really really good. I couldn't rock something like that...my stock valance (the black plastic one) already catches things you wouldn't think it would catch :cry2:

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:35 am

New post 
NICE, real creative, looks good, nice lip :mrgreen:

2000 Audi A4 1.8t- Silver

Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 am

New post 
nice, it looks good guy.

'99 GTI VR6 R.I.P
'01 MUSTANG GT

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 pm
The Genius

New post 
LOL @ bumper in living room

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:10 pm

New post 
Glad it worked out with the bending. Looks good!

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:18 am
Godless Heathen™

New post 
steffenme1 wrote:

For some reason, I can't help thinking that your car sneezed. :)

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]