Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - 90 735i Non-functioning heater
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
90 735i Non-functioning heater 

New post 90 735i Non-functioning heater
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around in a while. I have been working on my pick-up of late, and left my M30 as is (it has been running ok, still got a few bugs to work out :roll: ) Had a question for ya'll:

The heater in my 90 735i has never worked, looks as if the heater hose has been removed. Is there a way I can check to see if the previous owner removed the heater hose due to leakage in the cab without just hooking it up and letting it leak all over my floorboards?

What I am essentially asking is: will working on the heater require an entire disassembly of the dash?

And a secondary question, my A/C occasionally decides not to blow air, I think that means my blower motor is going out, but to fix that would I need to have the system emptied, or can it be worked on without messing with the compressor itself?

Thanks in advance to for any help you send my way, and I will try to make it out to a meet-n-greet again (been in some Japanese classes for the past couple of months, so no free time)

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 pm

New post Re: 90 735i Non-functioning heater
Make sure your heater core is still there. If you don't have a hose hooked up at all, you will need a new coolant hose, as the heater hose butts off of the feed hose. If you do have that hose, your heater core may be clogged.
I can give you a better answer to the heater question when I get home. I have an e32 sitting in the garage.

As for the a/c. Does the air completely cut out, then return later? If so, it sounds like your resistor is about to take a dump. I'm not sure where the blower motor in your car is, but if it's anything like the e38, you are going to have to remove the dash to get to it.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:43 pm

yert315 wrote:
Make sure your heater core is still there. If you don't have a hose hooked up at all, you will need a new coolant hose, as the heater hose butts off of the feed hose. If you do have that hose, your heater core may be clogged.
I can give you a better answer to the heater question when I get home. I have an e32 sitting in the garage.

As for the a/c. Does the air completely cut out, then return later? If so, it sounds like your resistor is about to take a dump. I'm not sure where the blower motor in your car is, but if it's anything like the e38, you are going to have to remove the dash to get to it.

Thank you for your reply Trey. The a/c does cut out totally, then returns as if nothing ever went wrong. One thing of note, if I put the a/c on full-blast it will still blow cold air, but once I click it past that "full-blast" notch on the dial it is as if the a/c is off again.

As for the heater: when you are talking about the heater core, do you mean the unit under the hood or the bit under the dash? I have never worked on heaters/air conditioners before (I work mostly on engine maintenance, I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of gal), so I am not well versed in the components, I do know that the e32 have separate heater and a/c components under the hood.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 am
SEA Enforcer

Definitely sounds like the blower motor resistor.

The heater core almost always is under the dash somewhere. It looks like a small radiator, the hot coolant flows through it and heats up the air blowing through the blower system.

Often when they start leaking, people just bypass them, to save money on repair. The downside, as you found out, is no heat.

1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (wife's)
Taking the whole-assed approach to cheap cars, since 1997.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:46 am
Profile YIM

m4ff3w wrote:

The heater core almost always is under the dash somewhere. It looks like a small radiator, the hot coolant flows through it and heats up the air blowing through the blower system.

Often when they start leaking, people just bypass them, to save money on repair. The downside, as you found out, is no heat.

I was afraid of that. I don't see any carpet damage in the front, but I couldn't think of any other reason the previous owner would remove that hose. Here in SA we don't really need the heat that much, but last year we did get a few cold snaps... so I would like to have both heater and a/c working. Since the blower motor resistor is also apparently going out, I guess I will just kill two birds with one stone. If any of you guys have done this work previously, I would love any guidance you would share with me. I think I had seen a walk-through on the blower motor resistor somewhere, I will look around again and see if I can find it. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:43 am

kuailekafei wrote:
m4ff3w wrote:

I was afraid of that. I don't see any carpet damage in the front, but I couldn't think of any other reason the previous owner would remove that hose. Here in SA we don't really need the heat that much, but last year we did get a few cold snaps... so I would like to have both heater and a/c working. Since the blower motor resistor is also apparently going out, I guess I will just kill two birds with one stone. If any of you guys have done this work previously, I would love any guidance you would share with me. I think I had seen a walk-through on the blower motor resistor somewhere, I will look around again and see if I can find it. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Most heater blower motors are located behind the dash and will be difficult to remove and replace. If this kind of problem is encountered you must avoid spending lots of money because it can only be the blower motor resistor itself. An old thread again but i would just like to post here for future readers. I hope this thread will help others!

Last edited by andreasue on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks!

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:33 am
Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]