Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Delocking a MKIV
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Delocking a MKIV 
Little McGyver

New post Delocking a MKIV
Here's how it's done. I've found a few DIY's but with most of them the pictures no longer work, or they don't include part #'s.

Here's my take on it.

This mod is easy as pie, but maybe not as tasty. Sure maybe it's as good as blueberry pie, or perhaps even apple. But not as good as something like chocolate. :-)

Here's the parts you're going to need.

Housing
1K4839167
Cap
3B4839879AGRU

And some primer, paint, and clear. I ordered mine from Paintscratch.com, they were relatively cheap, and easy to order from. I've managed to do several projects with the paint now, and I still have plenty left.

The cap and housing

I made a little "stand" out of foam board to hold my cap in place while I painted it. This kept it off the spraying surface and made it easier to move around. And because I'm cool. :mrgreen:

I prepped the cap by cleaning it well and then sanding with 400 grit.

Here comes the primer. I sprayed 2 coats of primer, then sanded with 1000.

Then the base coat.

And more base coat. I ended up spraying 4 coats of base, sanding with 1000 between the first 2, then wetsanding with 2000 between the last 2.

Then the clear. I lost track of how much clear I sprayed. At least four coats. Wet sanded with 2000 between coats, but I did not sand the final coat. I merely used some 3M polish and let it go. I think it came out pretty damn fine if I do say so myself.

Now to remove the old lock. First remove this plug.

Behind the plug lies a T20.

The damn thing sits in there like 3 inches. I initially tried to use a 1/4 ratchet with a short extension, but it's just too tight an area. In the end I ended up using a screwdriver/torx.

The T20 acts as a set screw of sorts on the lock cylinder, once you loosen it the cylinder can just be pulled out my hand with minimal drama from the outside.

Here's what the cylinder looks like once you extract it.

Install the housing with the cap, re-tighten the T20, replace the black plastic cap, and you are done.

Celebrate with a cold one :partyman: and practice crawling through your trunk. :thumbsup:

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:46 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
so you can't lock your doors now?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Schweet!

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godless Heathen™

New post 
ABTsportsline wrote:
so you can't lock your doors now?

With the remote I think. ;)

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Godless Heathen™

New post 

That's my favorite part. :D

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

New post 
soooo, what do you do when your battery dies? crawl through the hatch?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
:rofl: the stand..........if your battery dies in your remote what are you gonna do?

Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:19 am
Token Leghumper

New post 
Fast1 wrote:
:rofl: the stand..........if your battery dies in your remote what are you gonna do?

x2

good craftsmanship though!

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:03 am
Little McGyver

New post 
Fast1 wrote:

Yep, crawl through the hatch. The hatch still has a cylinder in it, and can be opened manually.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 am
Post Whore

New post 
Not enough arrows and caption usage! :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:28 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Nice job, looks really good. :thumbsup:

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:42 am
Little McGyver

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
Not enough arrows and caption usage! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was feeling a bit lazy with the arrows. I'll try to do better next time. :thumbsup:

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:20 am
Little McGyver

New post 
Here's the response I typed out to answer the more common questions answered on the 'tex. I'm too lazy to re-type it so here it is in all it's cut and paste glory.

Quote:
Seems like there's only ever a handful of repeating questions with this mod. Lets see if I can tackle a few.

Question 1.) Dude, your cars going to get broken into like wicked easy now, like monkeys with pixie sticks could totally steal your ride. Or....the flipside.... How is this mod going to make my car impervious to even the most professional of car thieves?

Answer 1.) I don't care. I don't think this mod makes the car easier nor more difficult to break in to. My car lives it's life primarily in the garage, swaddled in the sweet nothings of manufactured air. If someone REALLY wants to break into my car, they're going to. There's very little I can do about it about but suck it up, come on here and ***** for a few days about the loser that desecrated my baby.

Question 2.) What happens when the battery dies? What happens when the remote battery dies? What happens of you get struck by lightning? or attacked by a ravage pack of badgers? How are you going to get in your car then smart guy???? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Answer 2.) I going to crawl through the trunk. That's it, if any one of theose happen, I'm just gong to crawl through the damn trunk. Yeah, it may suck a bit but really lets take a look at the real problem. If my vehicles battery dies in the middle of a Lousiana swamp, I've got bigger friggin problems than wondering how I'm going to get my copy of "The best of Guns and Roses" from the console before the tow truck driver comes. My car is going to be sitting dead in the middle of nowhere, and me without a ride. It's deliverance baby!!! Secondly, my remote battery. I've NEVER seen a remote battery spontaneously die, it usually gives you some kind of warning, like you know it really starts to suck and not work well unless your actually standing on the hood of your car. But if it does..... that's right, I'm just going to crawl through the hood.

Question 3.) How are you going to use your cool windows down with the door lock feature?

Answer 3.) I never have. I think I tried it once to to see it work, other than that I've never used it my my daily routine, I can live without it. And if I really wanted, I could get one of those alien controller thingys that lets me do it with the remote. Assuming of course that the remote battery isn't dead, and I've managed to fend off the badgers.

So that's it kids, it's a REALLY easy mod thet I did for obviously ONLY aesthetic reasons. I like it, you should all do it, and you should all make little foam stands to hold the cap when you paint.

Thanks to all for the kind words. :-)

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 am
Site Sponsor

New post 
Great Job and looks good. Funny thing though, I was fine with the exposed lock untill you did this mod and offered the DIY on getting rid of it. Now, everytime I reach for the door handle I have this ugly key lock to look at. Just do not think I would have the patience you have to get er done.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm

New post 
Great job and nice write up (as usual) Steffen!

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:16 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
is "delock" even a real word? Steffen i think you've been hanging out with duncan too much! :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Administrator

New post 
ABTsportsline wrote:
is "delock" even a real word? Steffen i think you've been hanging out with duncan too much! :mrgreen:

ouch man, ouch. :(

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Little McGyver

New post 
ABTsportsline wrote:

Damn! :\ Apparently it isn't!

Stupid Dictionary.com!!!!

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:22 am

New post 
Try hyphenating it... instead of "delock", replace w/ "de-lock". A hyphen will let you get away with "spelling murder". That way all of the English teacher "wanna-bees" won't have anything to grump about and will leave you alone!

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:52 am
SEA Supporter

New post 
Or you can be part poet and have the license to invent words so just go back and make it all ryhme and your set. See, how I just invented a word there "ryhme" I can do that because I have the license now let me just add that little sucka to my dictionary. :ninja:

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:15 am
Post Whore

New post 
I completely forgot about this DIY......

Here is the link for it --> http://www.strictlyea.com/features/delocking.html

If there are any other DIY's that I forgot let me know and I will put them up there.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
EuroTuned

New post 
D-Witt wrote:
Great Job and looks good. Funny thing though, I was fine with the exposed lock untill you did this mod and offered the DIY on getting rid of it. Now, everytime I reach for the door handle I have this ugly key lock to look at. Just do not think I would have the patience you have to get er done.

same here, i didnt notice it until steff made this post.....

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:33 pm

New post 
how hard would matching the imenceness of the 20th's imolla yellow be? i love this mod and remember you talking about it at one of our meets. i'd like to do it...but i don't know about getting that yellow just right. course...i guess if it looks like crap i just won't install it

until i get it right of course :supz:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:16 am
Administrator

New post 
archidozer79 wrote:
how hard would matching the imenceness of the 20th's imolla yellow be? i love this mod and remember you talking about it at one of our meets. i'd like to do it...but i don't know about getting that yellow just right. course...i guess if it looks like crap i just won't install it

if you look where you spair tire is there should be a little sticker that says your paint code, take that to home depot and they will make you a custome color, but i dont know how expensive it is

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Little McGyver

New post 
DuncMan wrote:
archidozer79 wrote:

if you look where you spair tire is there should be a little sticker that says your paint code, take that to home depot and they will make you a custome color, but i dont know how expensive it is

Sweet Jesus Dunc... did you just say Home Depot??? :-|

Go to www.paintscratch.com, they selll kits that contain the primer, color, and clear for relatively reasonably prices with plenty left over. :thumbsup:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:13 am
Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]