Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - $5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way==
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
$5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way== 

New post $5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way==
So, you want to fool your computer into thinking that you have a cat or something to that nature? Here is the cure that i found that worked on my car. First off, i own a 1996 328is (obd2, very sensitive compared to obd1). So anywase, i was getting my cats removed by a shop around my house the next morning. There was no way that i could get a simulator shipped in that quick so i searched. :-( Ebay is where i found the idea. All it is is a common spark plug non-fouler that can be found in any autoparts store. I just so happen to work at Autozone and so i gave it a try. All you do is thread in the o2 sensor into the non-fouler(like you would normally do with a spark plug as it is intended for) and then screw the whole thing into the 02 bung on the exhaust pipe. Remember this only works for after the cat, not before!!! I believe they were about $5 at the Autozone where i work. Should be the same wherever you go. You can do a search on them to figure out the theory behind them, im not here to teach how they work, just to show you results. Here are a few pics to help you visulize.
If you need to see what they look like, do a search on yahoo and type in "non fouler" you will see that others have done it as well and it really does work. I have been running mine for 4 weeks now with no CEL :mrgreen: Give it a try and post up some results everyone becuase there is no need to spend $100 on o2 sim's somewhere!

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:28 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Here is the link for the features --> http://www.strictlyea.com/features/o2simulator.html

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:10 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Cool, thanks Ruben!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:45 am
Post Whore

New post 
BMWjiggaB wrote:
Cool, thanks Ruben!

No, thank you! :mrgreen:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:53 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
so why did you do that? if you still have the o2 bung, why not just screw into that? i realize it will read rich but how is that fouler stopping it from reading? just wondering, not putting down your idea, i just can't figure out how its doing anything.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:53 pm

New post 
It is moving it up out of the pipe. The reason the cel light comes on is becuase the front o2 sees the same thing as the rear o2. So if you change the position of the rear one or front(that would be dumb to do the front though becuase of fuel mixture) it will keep them from both "seeing" the same thing. You can check out the thread that i had on bimmerforums.com. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... =simulator

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:17 pm

New post 
ok, it moves it up out of the flow so that it doesn't read the same and it makes the ecu think that there is a cat that is cleaning out the exhaust flow of fumes?

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:55 pm

New post 
superj wrote:
ok, it moves it up out of the flow so that it doesn't read the same and it makes the ecu think that there is a cat that is cleaning out the exhaust flow of fumes?

You got it!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:21 am

New post 
cool

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:35 am

New post 
is there actually any performance gains from taking the cats out of your exhaust system, and how much??

VDO boost gauge, steering colum gauge pod, APR Tuned, Forge 007, Neuspeed CAI, H&R, Mintex pads, GHL 3" TB, Neuspeed 28MM RSB, Neuspeed Strut Tower Brace, Deisel Geek Skid plate, //14.9143 @ 91.71 MPH//

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
04VdubGLI wrote:
is there actually any performance gains from taking the cats out of your exhaust system, and how much??

For turbo or supercharged cars, YES! Most of the time, the lower the back pressure the better. On NA cars like mine, not really. Maybe 1hp if that and a smellier car and more of a rasp. My cats were bad before causing my car to run like crap, so thats why i did that.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:46 pm

New post 

Last edited by simplyredvw on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:54 pm

New post 
Well i was thinking that it was the cats that went bad, becuase my cel came on and said catalyist effeciency below threshold. So i figured either o2 sensor or cat. I talked to Bert from Berts Motor Werks, and he told me that would mean the cat. So when i pulled it out(which was a pita), it was a metalic cat, and it didnt look bad. But my car ran better after that and no cel. So?? idk what it was, but it worked!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:23 pm

New post 
hey what do u mean smelly?

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:14 am

New post 
DEFKON99 wrote:
hey what do u mean smelly?

as in the exhaust smells more than it did before. You can come buy and sniff my exhaust anytime you want! :mrgreen:

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:06 pm

New post 
One thing about cats, if they go bad, it is usually caused by something else. They don't go bad on their own. Usually a bad cat is a symptom of another problem. Good job with the DIY.

03 Ford Expedition
01 VW Cabrio
94 Ford Lightning

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:41 pm

New post 
Now if your rear o2 is truly BAD or Broken.... the above trick will do nothing for you. That trick is only for a good working o2 and a gutted cat.

Do this instead to get rid of the rear o2 completely.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

cost me about 2-3 dollars in parts and about 5 minutes, and eliminated my failed (read: broken in two) rear o2 issue.

You really think I miss driving a VW?
(Actually yeah, sometimes I do miss the turning radius and 30mpg!)

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:53 am

New post 
Attack Eagle wrote:
Now if your rear o2 is truly BAD or Broken.... the above trick will do nothing for you. That trick is only for a good working o2 and a gutted cat.

Do this instead to get rid of the rear o2 completely.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

cost me about 2-3 dollars in parts and about 5 minutes, and eliminated my failed (read: broken in two) rear o2 issue.

got a step by step DIY???? :-?

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:09 pm

New post 
no.

it is straight forward and easy.

You really think I miss driving a VW?
(Actually yeah, sometimes I do miss the turning radius and 30mpg!)

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:19 pm

New post Re: $5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way==
i did this mod last saturday to my car. so far so good!! :thumbsup:

Attachments:
downsized_0531091917.jpg
downsized_0531091917.jpg [ 33.29 KiB | Viewed 3854 times ]

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:01 pm

beEtle @LeX wrote:
i did this mod last saturday to my car. so far so good!! :thumbsup:

Thats great, glad that I could help!

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 pm

ugh i guess ill take this as a sign that i need to replace my O2 sensor thats throwing codes

banana bike HD 883

matt

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:50 am
Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]