Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Lil Smokey touched my weiner.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Lil Smokey touched my weiner. 
Little McGyver

New post Lil Smokey touched my weiner.
Allow me to introduce you to my BBQ grill..... 'lil smokey

Check out his baby photo..... look at him, what a cute little thing he was, still blue and full of hope and a love for life. :love6: 'lil smokey, for those who don't recognize him, is an empty 30lb R134 Freon canister.

And like most tasks I undertake, this adventure (as always) starts on my dining room table.

And here is 'lil smokey after he had been sawed in half. (mucho thanko to Jeff and his mad jig-saw skills) :thumbsup:

The canister, being that it was originally designed to carry freon, not brisket, had this pesky valve at the bottom that was keeping my grill from sitting correctly on it's little feets.

A hacksaw, a bit of swearing, and a few minutes later......

During project 'lil smokey, I would also be employing this aluminum flashing I purchased at Home Depot for $5.

Check out the cool gold coating on one side, very much like the Apollo space program. And if it's good enough for our astronauts it's good enough for me! :thumbsup:

I would be using the flashing to make a lip so the top and bottom half of the canister would fit snugly, and also a second lip for the grill to rest on. The first thing to do was drill 8 equi-distant holes around the perimeter of the lower half of lil smokey.

Note the change in scenery. Project lil smokey had moved from my dining room table to my place of work. :violent1:

I then cut out a 1.5 inch strip of flashing and drilled a matching set of 8 holes for the machine screws to fasten to. :-)

Like so. You will notice in this photo how the flashing had a non-rolled upper edge.

This made it difficult to get the upper and lower halves of the canister to fit together unless you kind of dicked with them a bit. And being as I figured I didn't want to try and tinker with the lid when it was 400 degrees..... something had to be done! :\

So I removed the blade from a can opener we had lying around work and used it as a crimping tool! :thumbsup:

And the results...... I'm a genius!!!!! :thumbsup:

Lil smokey was starting to come together!

(intermission)

This is what happens when you leave your digital camera lying around work and then go to lunch.

(end intermission)

I then made a thinner 3/4 inch strip of flashing and attached it on top of the first "ring o flashing"... like so.....

See how pretty the grill sits?

I then drilled three holes in the top of the canister (two small, one mega) for the handle, thermometer, and vent.

I found this vent in the roofing section of home depot, I don't know what it's actually supposed to be used for, but it looks damn fine where it's at! And as a bonus it always tell me which was is up! :thumbsup:

I then cut four 1/2 inch holes into the bottom for ventilation.

And cut a smaller grill for the bottom so the coals would have a happy place to live.

And then it was time for some paint!!!!! My lovely assistant :mrgreen: (see intermission) roughly sanded down the blue/aqua paint.

And then primer!

And then roughly 2-3 coats of black. But look at the results ladies and gentlemen!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Lil Smokey even comes with his very own "no slip" feets! :-)

But what good is a grill (even one as good looking as 'lil smokey) unless it perform with the best of them?

Well it was time for 'lil smokey to earn its keep. Burn baby burn!!!! :eek:

After the coals had lit I was freaking amazed at how well 'lil smokey would hold onto heat.

Look at 'lil smokey take those weiners like a champ! Seven at a time!!!! :eek:

And how where they?????? Delicious I tell you!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Check out this photo.... is it the heimlich? or violent prison style anal-rape? You be the judge. :thumbsup:

Keep on the lookout for "lil smokey takes on chicken" and perhaps "lil smokey and the woman that loved him"

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:12 pm

New post 
Did you guys have Tossed Salad?

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:26 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

New post 
vdub18t wrote:
Did you guys have Tossed Salad?

lol

and good work man, i REALLY wish i had your job

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post Whore

New post 
:rofl:

Great write-up!

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
damn, being a saturn employee leaves you some free time, huh?

2012 lightning phantom 2

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:45 pm
EuroTuned

New post 
wtf man that thing is friggin shweet!

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:36 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
:rofl:

that is awesome! very handy steffen, very handy...

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:18 am

New post 
love it dood...rock on :supz:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:19 am
SEA Supporter

New post 
Very cool indeed! That is the best federal violation of improper disposal I have ever seen. No wonder my boss asked me to personally to destroy those things. On a side note BBQ pits like that are on sale at Heb this weekend for 11 bucks. :thumbsup:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:32 am
Little McGyver

New post 
Fast1 wrote:
Very cool indeed! That is the best federal violation of improper disposal I have ever seen. No wonder my boss asked me to personally to destroy those things. On a side note BBQ pits like that are on sale at Heb this weekend for 11 bucks. :thumbsup:

No improper disposal. The canister clearly states "do not refill" As a matter of fact, I guaranteed that the container could not be refilled! (expect with food which I don't think is what they had in mind.) :mrgreen:

11 dollars!!! :eek: Yeah, but anyone with 11 dollars can have one of those...... :thumbsup:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:36 am
SEA Supporter

New post 
Just messin wit ya! But your right its so they cant be refilled. Again pretty cool just too damn much work for me. :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 am
New post 
steffenme1 wrote:
Fast1 wrote:

No improper disposal. The canister clearly states "do not refill" As a matter of fact, I guaranteed that the container could not be refilled! (expect with food which I don't think is what they had in mind.) :mrgreen:

11 dollars!!! :eek: Yeah, but anyone with 11 dollars can have one of those...... :thumbsup:

You could have asked as well... i have a grill sitting in my desk drawer-->

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:18 pm
Post Whore

New post 
:rofl: @ Grill sitting in your desk drawer.

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
:rofl: @ Grill sitting in your desk drawer.

LMAO x2

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
that's so wierd...i have that same folding "tailgate" grill...won it and had to go to pick it up and was really disapointed when i get this envelope that contains a fold out grill. and like you...i haven't taken it out of its package yet. stupid grill

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:36 pm
New post 
i got a cooler story about how i got mine. So there i was about to sign the papers for my 2005 Colorado when the salesman said " hey i will even throw in a grill once you get done signing the paper work" My wife and i were like :thumbsup: cool. After we signed the paper work he told me to pull the truck around back and him and one of his buddies would load it up for us. So i backed it around and these 2 guys come out carrying this little grill and put it in the back of my truck! I was livid! So i argued with them and made them throw in the trailer hitch for free :mrgreen: o and i kept the grill.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 pm

New post 
HAHA...sweet!!! I love the fact that he said he'd have some guys load it up for you.

Great story

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:31 am

New post 
Very cool project. My only concern would be having a metal handle directly attached to the top of a metal grill with no (discernible) heat insulation...how do you get the top on and off?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:31 am
SEA Enforcer

New post 
arootbeer wrote:
Very cool project. My only concern would be having a metal handle directly attached to the top of a metal grill with no (discernible) heat insulation...how do you get the top on and off?

It should be fine because of the spring like construction, should dissipate heat well enough not to burn you. That, or protect you hands when you lift it.

1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (wife's)
Taking the whole-assed approach to cheap cars, since 1997.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:47 am
Profile YIM
SEA Enforcer

New post 

I have that grill. (was a gift) It is neat at first, but it sucks.

1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (wife's)
Taking the whole-assed approach to cheap cars, since 1997.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 am
Profile YIM
Little McGyver

New post 
arootbeer wrote:

Yeah, the handle stays pretty cool actually, after awhile (like and hour) It heats up and I have to use a potholder. But it's not too bad. :thumbsup:

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:11 am
Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]