Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - DIY: E30 front battery tie-down
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
DIY: E30 front battery tie-down 

New post e30 front battery tie-down
Here's a little writeup I just did. I figured I'd post it here as well.

I'm Auto-xing tommorow all the way down in SA so to not waste my time I figured I'd better make sure I pass tech and make sure my battery does not move. The "universal" battery tie-down autozone sells is not as universal as the name suggests. Eventually I'll move the battery to the trunk, but this works for now.

Home Depot tie-down:
I used:
2x - 8"+ x 1/4" thread
1x - 12"+ x 1" x 1/8" plain flat metal strip
6x - 1/4" nut
3x - 1/4" washer
2x - 1/4" lock-washer
It goes across longways.

Take out the battery. You can use those two holes already in the battery tray. I had to drill the inner hole out a very little bit to fit my bolt through.

Cut the thread 8" long, and put a nut at the end you cut. Then melt/mash/weld/whatever the nut to the end so it doesn't move and you make a bolt. Repeat on the other end. If you can find 8" 11mm bolts somewhere you don't need to worry about this.

Cut the metal stip 12", put the battery in and mark it where the bolts will go through. Then drill it.

This is what the setup looks like not in the car.

Thead the bolt through the hole, then put the washer, lockwasher, and bolt down, then tighten it up. Repeat on the other side.

Put in the battery.

Slip on the metal strip, tighten it on.

Viola! That baby isn't going anywhere.

BMWCCA 380364

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
Nice man.. I'll probbably do that, but did you drill those holes or were they allready there?

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:56 pm

New post 
Looni your battery is in the trunk. This won't work for you, but I'm pretty sure the universal autozone tie-down will?

And superj said you wouldn't even need one, the factory tie-down passes tech.

BMWCCA 380364

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
jordan325iC wrote:
Looni your battery is in the trunk. This won't work for you, but I'm pretty sure the universal autozone tie-down will?

And superj said you wouldn't even need one, the factory tie-down passes tech.

I know it's in the trunk but i was saying I was gonna do something likee that. :P

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:27 pm

New post 
looks good man. looks really good.

yes , the factory tie down is a very good set up also and will hold your battery in no matter how many 360s you do at a time (come to a corpus autocross and ask who has done the most spins nonstop and you'll know why i say it has been tested). i have tested the factory unit extensively over the past 9 months of autocross and it has held superbly.

i have the record for spins without hitting a cone. i did a 1080 before coming to a stop without hitting a cone.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Last edited by superj on Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
No no no no, you need to come to SA and we should autoX here !! lol.

jake. wrote:

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:44 pm

New post 
unlss they are having it in two weeks and it is as cheap as corpus is to run, i can't do it. i'm on a linited slip diff mission in two weeks and will be at a&j's going under all the e30s they have.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:46 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
When you go there give me a hollar, i'll cruise down there with you if you want, i also wanna check this place out.

jake. wrote:

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:59 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Man I have to catchup with all these DIY's you guys have been doing lately. :mrgreen:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
Nice diy! Your gonna want to paint that flat metal and maybe even the all thread. The metal going across the top of the battery has a strange way of building up corrosion and then causing current loss across on the battery. The all thread and nuts on the bottom also have a strange way of oxidizing amazingly fast and turning to rust fairly quick. You don't have to but it would not only look better but provide longer lasting performance. :thumbsup:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:31 am
Post Whore

New post 
http://www.strictlyea.com/features/e30battery.html

:thumbsup:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Fast1 wrote:
Nice diy! Your gonna want to paint that flat metal and maybe even the all thread. The metal going across the top of the battery has a strange way of building up corrosion and then causing current loss across on the battery. The all thread and nuts on the bottom also have a strange way of oxidizing amazingly fast and turning to rust fairly quick. You don't have to but it would not only look better but provide longer lasting performance. :thumbsup:

Good tip, thanks.

BMWCCA 380364

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]