Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - 3M Clear Bra Roof Rack Pad Thingys
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
3M Clear Bra Roof Rack Pad Thingys 
Little McGyver

New post 3M Clear Bra Roof Rack Pad Thingys
I try to get out and mountain bike on the weekends when I can, you know, to keep from getting too fat or lazy, however installing a roof rack on the .:R presents some problems.. namely this.

This is a photo off my last car (a VR6 GTI) and you can see the debris that builds up on the paint after just a short amount of time. This was after only about three months, on a garaged, weekend driven vehicle. All of it cleaned off, and with some polish and wax was no worse for the wear, however gunk like that has it's own bad mojo, so it won't be touching my .:R

So here's what I did about it.

First I dry-fitted the rack and marked the location of the pads with masking tape.

Front:

Back:

I then removed the rack and placed more masking tape around the marks I just made, this extra 1/2 inch all the way around gave me the room I needed to install the 3m clear bra material I'd be using.

And here some of that material is. I had a hard time finding this stuff cheaply on the net, but thankfully found a local shop that was willing to part with some scrap. I cut four pads for the rack itself, and four mini-pads for where the fairing touches the roof of the vehicle. The fronts are 6 1/2" x 2" and the rears are 6 1/2" x 1 5/8", the little mini-pads are 3/4" in diameter.

I then sprayed the areas where the material was going with soapy water and lined it up with the marks I made previously. If you're going to do this, don't skip that step, this stuff if hugely sticky, and you'll never get it placed correctly without using the soapy water method. Here they are after I placed them and let them dry.

Front:

Back:

I ended up getting 1/4" around the base of each foot pad, so you can barely see them at all when the rack is installed.

Front:

Back:

And the final money shot.

Sorry for the not so great photos, but if you can't make something out or have a question just let me know. ;)

Also, I have a few pieces of this stuff left, so if anybody needs a chunk or two, just hit me up at the next GTG.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:21 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Great write-up! I will be putting together an official write up or whatever to put in the DIY section using what you have here. Thanks man!

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
BM Double Jew

New post 
Good thing your car wasn't parked under that tree for shade ;)

Very nice writeup.

Thanks.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Post Whore

New post 
http://www.strictlyea.com/features/mk4roofrack.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2161481

There you go. Let me know if you need any changes. I posted it on the 'Tex too......I love roof racks! They totally make the car look like a sleeper. Good writeup btw :thumbsup:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Little McGyver

New post 
Thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:32 am
The Guru

New post 
Very well written. If I had a hard top this would definitally be something I would look into :)

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:21 pm
Profile WWW

New post 
thats sweet, roof racks are always good imo

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:54 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]