Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - BMW Z3 Detail and reviews, 56k warned
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
BMW Z3 Detail and reviews, 56k warned 
The Guru

New post BMW Z3 Detail and reviews, 56k warned
Ok this will prolly be edited a few times over the next couple of weeks as I am sure to remember bits and pieces here and there. I had bought this car a couple of months ago and have had a blast. The only thing that really bothered me was the paint. It wasn't fading, but had bad swirls and lacked a deep wet gloss. After trying Megs Gold Class (dissapointment, lasted 4 weeks at best), Megs Hi Tech Yellow wax (best off the shelf wax, but short life at 4 weeks max), and Megs Tech Wax (didn't last at all, but to be fair I don't think it had a chance to properly bond). I was fed up and thanks to autogeek.net I bought some items:
PC 7424/ with pad kit
Microfiber Clothes
SSR 2.5
SSR 1
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant
Pinnacle Souvern

First my car looked like this:
Swirls bad, and a horrid recent experience in acid rain!!!!!

So I went to AutoZone to pick up a awesome clay bar kit for $9.99 called Clay Magic. You can see in this next pic the before and after of the clay bar. It was simply amazing, and this is saying alot coming from the crap I previously used called Meguires Clay bar kit. It had more clay, and seemed to work a hell of alot better and at half the price to boot.
Clay did a pretty nice job, although in these pics its hard to tell, but there is still swirls.
Wait there they are :chair:

UPS delivered my goods finally near the evening, which meant I wasn't going to get to use my new toys till the next day :(

First thing I do is go over the car with the leftover detailing spray from Clay magic and a MicroFiber to clean the car of dust. The I busted out a orange pad (light cutting ability) and SSR2.5 and went to work. I started off with a spray on the pad to wet it followed with lots of SSR2.5 speed 1 to cover the surface and then immediatly bumping it up to speed 5 to get this b*tch taken care of, then back off to speed 1 and off the machine. Followed with buffing off access with microfiber.

When I reach the fender I run into a mistake, I accidently scrolled the wrong way and went to speed 6 lifting off and did this!
Oh man was I ROYALLY PISSED OFF! The force of the quick spool up pulled ever bit of SSR2.5 out of pad and ALL over the car. It took a solid 15minutes just to clean the area. Not to mention what was a pleasant smell from the SSR2.5 (bubble gum) went up my nose and made me sick to my stomach.
Word to the wise, be careful with speed and make sure you turn off the machine and it is stopped before lifting the pad.

BTW Portal Cable what the hell where you thinking with the location of your buttons!!! :chair:

My review of the SSR2.5 is it removes light swirls (well not remove but makes less noticeable), smells kinda nice (little strong), cheap, but chalks up quite a bit. The chalking up wasn't really a bit surprise and can prolly be said with all compound/polishes of this sort.

I then followed up the car rather quickly (not a good idea), with SSR1. It took quite a bit of the haze out of the car, but I am pretty sure another go would yeild better results, again my fault. It smells better then the SSR2.5 (not strong), and doesn't chalk hardly at all.

I followed the car up with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and garaged the car for a solid day. These are some pics in the garage as outside it was raining.
Note in this pic I am using a light that should and does usually show MAD swirls, but strangly they are gone :) .
Small crop off bigger picture, just to show the reflection.

Overall I am very pleased with the sealant. While not being quite as deep as a carnuba, it does have some qualities that are very nice. Oh and unlike carnuba oddly I have gotten a xxxx load of comments on how water beads up on my car.

I want to take better pictures and add another layer of sealant, but its been raining nonstop sadly. :boat: Regardless Enjoy!

Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reposter of the Century!

New post 
nice write up, and thats one clean car! got a few things to say though

how do you like that PC 7424, i see a lot of people use it and im lookin into getting one soon

that meguires clay bar kit worked good for me when i owned it :P

dont forget to wax after sealent :x

did you polish before you did that sealent? :o

also just to mention that by being a member of bimmerforums.com , i think you get a 15% discount off

Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:28 am
BM Double Jew

New post 
Man I wish I had the patience to go through all that. Maybe one of these days...

Thanks.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:03 am
The Guru

New post 
ZainK wrote:
nice write up, and thats one clean car! got a few things to say though

how do you like that PC 7424, i see a lot of people use it and im lookin into getting one soon

that meguires clay bar kit worked good for me when i owned it :P

dont forget to wax after sealent :x

did you polish before you did that sealent? :o

also just to mention that by being a member of bimmerforums.com , i think you get a 15% discount off

I like the PC 7424 alot, and now fully realize you can't do a real polish job without one. If you liked the meguires next time go to autozone and pick up Auto Magic's, prepared to be floored. It won't stop raining so I haven't had a chance to wax. Before the sealant I used a SSR1 which is a polish. And yes I received my discount :supz: .

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:09 am
Profile WWW
The Genius

New post 
So are you expecting it to get swirly again in a few weeks? Looks nice either way. :)

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:47 am

New post 
man thats sweet, i think im going to do that to my car asap

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:23 am
Profile YIM
Post Whore

New post 
Yeah very nice writeup, I will get a DIY made out of it soon and post it up. I will probably end up doing this to my car in the next few weeks.

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:30 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
How much time overall does this take??? Also approx costs to have it done by a pro? I remember we had at least one pro detailer in the club.

Because cost/time wasted= I don't have the patience either

Good writeup though

Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post Whore

New post 
Ok guys, I did the page for it, you can find the links below......

DIY Page --> http://www.strictlyea.com/features/diy.html
Actual DIY Write-up --> http://www.strictlyea.com/features/detaildiy.html
Homepage --> http://www.strictlyea.com/home.html

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Little McGyver

New post 
Very nice job, great write-up!!!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:54 pm
The Guru

New post 
Thanks for the DIY page :mrgreen: I added a layer of canauba wax using Pinnacle Sourven<*spelling. Anyways....AMAZING!!!!. It took my already brilliant job and made it so wet looking you have no idea. I will do a proper photoshoot of the results soon and update my DIY reflecting the changes and more thoughts on detailing. :supz:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Post Whore

New post 
IanBMW wrote:
Thanks for the DIY page :mrgreen: I added a layer of canauba wax using Pinnacle Sourven<*spelling. Anyways....AMAZING!!!!. It took my already brilliant job and made it so wet looking you have no idea. I will do a proper photoshoot of the results soon and update my DIY reflecting the changes and more thoughts on detailing. :supz:

Good deal, cant wait to see the pics! :thumbsup:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Guru

New post 
I have off from work and school tommorrow so a definite photoshoot will be done. Man why can't ya'll have something going on tommorrow :( I want to go to a meet but I always work. :cry2:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
The Genius

New post 
I'm off school tomorrow too, maybe some of us could meet somewhere and get some nice pictures?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:30 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Jeremy wrote:
I'm off school tomorrow too, maybe some of us could meet somewhere and get some nice pictures?

Read his location. :goodman:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Genius

New post 
I did, but for some reason since he suggested it I figured maybe that was his original location and he's in town or something... Oops. :-P

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:38 pm
The Guru

New post 
No I'm still in corpus christi. I have a friend I need to visit up there, but I am trying to go up there for a meet and visit with her at the same time. I have a feeling it's going to be a couple of weeks.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Guru

New post 
So the Pinnacle Souveran Wax did a fantastic job on my car. I used the liquid version, because it was cheaper mainly. When I run out I will buy the paste version of it. I could honestly see the difference, between Pinnacle Souveran and just Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. My friend Matt who helped me buff it off (btw no dusting and very easy to remove) freaked out over how wett it looked. I had this guy yesterday stare at my hood for like a solid 2 minutes at the stop sign. What else can I say, it's time for the butter baby!

Ian

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Genius

New post 
At first I thought that second picture was taken like that... then I realized it was photoshopped... cheater... =P That would have been one impressive DOF shot if that was real...

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:56 pm
The Guru

New post 
I take that as a compliment. I could have busted out the ole 50mm f/1.8. But then I would have only had the front in focas, and woulda missed out on the distortion. Plus The only lens that my Circular Polarizer fits at the moment is the Kit lens 18-55mm.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
BM Double Jew

New post 
Ddasmn THat si thist sthi!

Translation:

Damn that is the chit!

Thanks.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:18 pm
The Guru

New post 
First the pictures for my update.

While these pictures aren't quite as impressive as the first set, there are impressive in that these are Unedited camera raw images, only processed to Jpeg's. So far I have been through many wax jobs and even one quick SSR1 buff job; until yesterday which was a complete workup. Complete workup meaning, SSR2.5, the last of my SSR1, and skipping the Deep Gloss and going straight for the Pinnacle Sourvern. I am going to make a half-@$$ list of what I think of these products and suggestions on buffing:

-Pinnacle Sourvern carnuba wax (liquad mind you) has to show the deepest gloss yet to date, and feels the slickest. Even multilayered Deep Gloss is no match for just one layer of Sourvern.

-Deep gloss is a decent product put off from Wolfgang, but if no match for a daily driven black BMW in south texas heat/humidity. I can't completly blame it though, because we have some of the harshest weather for paint, figuring in those hott summer shower which completly ruin a good wax instantly. This wax is supposed to work for up to 5 months. Well I would have to say in tough climate it lasts about 3 weeks. While Sourvern lasts about a week.

-Poorboys SSR1 and SSR2.5 are a ABSOLUTE godsend. I even learned how to properly hit a surface and work the SSR2.5 to the point where you don't even need to use SSR1 to get rid of haze; although I do anyways just because I want perfection. To give you a idea of how good even SSR1 works, which is the lightest grade listen to this. My friend's parents, Lucas, owns a Deep Blue brand new Dodge Durango. His mom felt wiping down a dirty and dusty car with damp washrags would clean it up nicely. !@#!@$@!. As you can imagine the paint was swirled MASSIVELY. So bad I saw holigrams come off the paint 3 feet high it seemed like. Well anyways, with SSR1 as my guide I hit that car to absolute perfection and even took out actual scratches.

-Cliff note from above, Poorboys is the #1 polish compound makers in my mind bar none, and their the cheapest at $13 a bottle.

-When using the Porter cable buffer take off the stupid side grip as you loose feel for the paintjob if you use it. Remember that pressure actually works against you 9 times out of 10. Reason being is that when you add pressure it slows the rotation of the pad almost to a stop; but not to the point the motor bogs or anything. When useing a Dual Action buffer you want to let the speed work for you. It's more of just learning the buffer, but generally I say I stick to around speed 5. That means apply polish to pad, set buffer to speed one, dab the buffer pad to surface area up to 2 sq feet for coverage and to prevent slinging of material, apply the buffer to vehicle and turn it on, use as little of pressure as posible without letting the buffer walk away from you, turn up speed gradually to speed 5 and work the polish, generally I go in back and forth motions along the air stream of car (think hood to trunk), when material get really light colored it's time to throw the buffer to speed one, then turn off the buffer and lift from surface.

-The above sounds difficult, but after 2-3 cars buffed it becomes natural.

Well if anyone has any questions let me know. :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:42 am
Profile WWW

New post 
So does this mean that on our next mod/detail day, that Ian will be doing all of our cars for us since it comes so "natural". haha. jk. :supz:

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:22 am
EuroTuned

New post 
wow my car could sure use that kind of detailing... :thumbsup:

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:05 am
The Guru

New post 
BMWjiggaB wrote:
So does this mean that on our next mod/detail day, that Ian will be doing all of our cars for us since it comes so "natural". haha. jk. :supz:

LOL, this kind of detail takes me ruffly 8 hours. A single stage buff would take me prolly 4 hours. But this is with breaks. If I had someone to help me buff off what I put on, it would cut the time in half if not in third. I would say the majority of work is hand buffing off polish :(

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

New post 
yo..dat hoods straight up gang$ta...******* hot, piano black hot :rr:

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:32 pm
Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]