Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - Rear trailing arm bushings (BMW)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Rear trailing arm bushings (BMW) 
SEA Supporter

New post Rear trailing arm bushings (BMW)
Ok, this will apply to the E36 model and since I have been on various other sites and haven't seen any write-ups on this I will attempt to give this a go.
Let's see what tools are involved. You will need these items
1. Floor jack, jack stands and wheel chocks
2. 1/2 inch drive ratchet with a 18mm and 19mm sockets
3. 3/8 drive ratchet with a 10mm socket
4. 1/2 inch drive impact gun
5. special bushing press
6. spray paint any color but black and maybe gray
7. Screwdriver and pliers
Heres the products I chose to use.

Last edited by Fast1 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:22 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
First, you will need to chock the front tires and slightly jack the rear of the car from the factory jacking point on one side of the car in the rear. Then you will need to paint the toe plate under the car.
Let the paint dry and then proceed to removing the brake line connected to the trailing arm with the 3/8 ratchet and 10mm socket as seen here
Next remove the toe plate using the 1/2 in ratchet and 18mm socket
When the bolts are removed it will drop down like this and jack the car a little more to gain more clearance.
Now to remove the toe plate from the arm you will need to use the impact and a wrench to hold the other side and remove the nut and bolt and then pry off the toe plate.

Last edited by Fast1 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:34 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
Now you can remove the flange from the outer part of the stock bushing by prying out with a punch or screwdriver and then grabbing and pulling with some pliers. Once this is done you can install the removal tool onto the trailing arm/bushing area. The bolt of the tool runs through the middle of the bushing and out the other side. Looks like this
Now, I have been to every parts supplier and repair facility and no one is using this tool. I cant believe even the dealer lacks it. They remove the entire trailing arm from the car and use a press to remove the bushing. This tool lets you remove it while on the car.
You simply turn the bolt head by hand with the ratchet and 19mm socket and voila its free.
Heres the crappy 30,000 mile stock bushing.
Next you need to clean out the inside of the hole in the trailing arm before installing the new bushings.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:48 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
After cleaning the hole you can install the new bushings placing the parts in first and then the steel sleeve into them in the arm . Lightly grease the bushings to prevent squeaking.
Now put the toe plate back on.
When the toe plate is back on and the nut and bolt torqued with the impact you can put the entire assembly back up in the hole and bolt the toe plate back up using the paint outline to line up the plate and bolts. Torque those very good and replace the brake line. Now its time to go for an allignment and let me tell you that my car was within the thickness of a piece of paper so no toe allignment was necessary but I got it checked and had the camber and front toe adjusted. This is a must when any suspension repairs are done. Just plan on it. It is better to be safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
This entire job took only an hour and certain other bmw only shops wanted to charge me 3 hours labor and who knows what else after removing the entire trailing arm assembly. Needless to say this tool owns all especially when every E36 with stock bushings requires this after every 30k or when the rear starts to wander under accelleration or braking. It's a huge safety issue and needs to be addressed.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:19 pm
Reposter of the Century!

New post 
you have the bushing press?!?! .. you want to install some new bushings on my car :)

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
SEA black-sheep

New post 
^^^^^^^^
what he said.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:01 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
What I have is the removal tool to remove the stock bushings. If you use polyurethane replacement bushings (which last longer and perform better than stock) installation doesn't require any tools. If you go with a stock replacement bushing you will need the install tool which I do not have. :cry2:

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:59 pm
BM Double Jew

New post 
That's a huge rtab. Mine are way way smaller than that.

Thanks.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:35 am

New post 
Great write-up Harold.
Now who wants to do mine?
Aaron

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:34 pm
Post Whore

New post 
I finally quit being lazy and made the DIY for this write-up. Could you please tell us where you got that special gold tool or whatever so I can post it on there? And start whore-ing out this link! :mrgreen:

http://www.strictlyea.com/features/bmwrtab.html

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Im shopping for my whole suspension, and keep getting different input on the bushings. I wanted to go with the urathane offsets, but have been told to to stay away, 1st cause I dont need offset, but I thought that would help response, and 2nd that the urathane cause too much vibration and damage, but arent necessary for my driving. any input?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:45 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
If your talking about the front control arm bushings then yes offset are not recomended for a daily driver. Just get regular ones and the poly are ok for anything but rubber is softer and cushier. Just depends on how you drive. I like my stuff hard and stiff but its not too good to have on the street because of pot holes bumps and debri. I avoid all that when driving so it really doesn't affect the car much. I would suggest rubber for daily and poly for weekend only cars. I wouldn't put offset unless my car was track only.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:03 pm

New post 
would you mind explaining in simple terms what the offset does, The ones who recommended them to me said get em, but make sure i mount them in 12 oclock position for less caster. I drive my car like its a weekend car every day, I dont know if i could help it. I would like mine stiff too, Ive been in very stiff suspensions, and would really prefer mine to be just shy of a track only car.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:15 pm

New post 
cool diy !! i will be doing that 1 soon!

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:21 pm
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]