Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - DIY s6 style L.E.D.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
DIY s6 style L.E.D. 

New post DIY s6 style L.E.D.
i made this for the tex firgured people could amend the instructions for whatever car you may want to put them on.

EDIT: i found a better use for these since i got real foglights :)

:thumbsup:

This is a Guide on installing led strips from http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

these are the 9.5 inch strip in the white color.

from the site:
Do the LED strips require resistors?
No. The LED strips do not require any resistors. They are ready to work on any 12 volt power source.

Which wire is power and which is ground?
The silver wire is 12v +, and the gold wire is 12v - (ground). If you accidentally reverse them, nothing bad will happen.

ok so before you do anything keep this in mind:
-I do not take any reponsibility if you damage yourself or your car in any way
-this is my first DIY and this is meant to be easy and reversable, meaning there is no cutting of wires.
-if you have any more advice, comments, questions, concerns, any anything you feel people should know when doing this, PM me and i will amend the original post

that being said lets get started

tools and supplies you need:
light strips
electrical tape

things that will make the job easier as well:
some sort of plyers
tools to remove intake filter (if you have an aftermarket thats in the way on the drivers side)
wire strippers

these arrive in a package wrapped up and ready to install

the stip is kinda jelly and very flexible, and because it will be folded in half I suggest pulling them flat and laying something heavy on them for a while to get them to stay unfolded. (this will also help when mounting)

I used the city lights to power the leds, so when those lights are on, the leds automatically turn on as well. the leds have very little power draw so no bulb out warnings or anything will pop up in your cluster.

i suggest testing the power to the strips everytime you move the set up (after testing the power/ground wires, taping them, inserting the bulb holder, and closing up the access port) so that you dont have to go back and redo anything
the city lights have a red arrow pointing to them

behind the headlight, there are to bulb access ports. the larger one with a hard plastic cover is for the low beams, leave that one alone.remove the rubber cover shown below

i used a set of pliers to GENTLY grip the bulb holder and pull with a bit of force. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ONLY PULLING ON THE BULB HOLDER AND NOTHING ELSE. if you are dexterous enough, i suggest using your fingers so there is less chance of breaking anything

here is what the back of the bulb holder looks like. (these are what my wire colors are)

yes that was scotch tape, for this diy i switched the tape to electrical tape

i stripped the tip of the wire just so i could fold them over and make them a little more rigid so they could be inserted easier

i then inserted the wires into the back of the bulb holder (as this is the only way they will fit and then used tape to hold them in place

there should be enough room in the plug to fit the led wires into

i then re-inserted the bulb holder into the headlight housing

this is how it should look

simply replace the rubber cover over the wire

then feed the led strip through the bumper down behind the grill vents

you can mount them wherever and however you like

they come with precut stips of double sided foam tape, which is the same stuff used to adhere our rubstrips to our cars, so thats what i used.

i fed them through and stuck them on my grills like so:

i then used cable ties to securse any loose wire away from anything that might get hot

heres with the lights off during the day(relitively invisible to the average observer)

here is with the lights on during the day (they are a bit brighter when you look at them in the rear veiw mirror and such

and then at night only the parking lights on

this is great if you have a leased car, or like me werent too sure if you were going to like it.

i need to get hids to match the true white color of the strips, but even then i think they look great.

Last edited by el_leon on Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
that looks great good post.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm

New post 
hmm very cool. i like how they sell the strips in a longer length, i would like to try and get them inside the headlight possibly like the sexual a4

The Reflective Touch
Affordable Automotive Detailing Service!

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 pm

New post 
lol

i think im going to make some into footwell lighting (front and rear seats) and trunk lighting.

maybe maybe if i feel up to it door pocket lights, i can never find ANYTHING in there.

oh! and maybe lights in my glovebox too

lol these things are too fun.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
07MKVGLI wrote:
hmm very cool. i like how they sell the strips in a longer length, i would like to try and get them inside the headlight possibly like the sexual a4

look on vortex, i've seen a few people retrofit them already like that, taking an led strip and cutting out some of the headlight housing to put it in

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
yea i think that would look the sickest. Interior l.e.d. strips are also a great idea the stock interior lighting is pretty back and it didnt help i changed my lights to red haha

The Reflective Touch
Affordable Automotive Detailing Service!

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 pm
Administrator

New post 
el_leon wrote:
lol
i think im going to make some into footwell lighting (front and rear seats) and trunk lighting.
maybe maybe if i feel up to it door pocket lights, i can never find ANYTHING in there.
oh! and maybe lights in my glovebox too
lol these things are too fun.

Careful, Leo. I know you look Mexican and all, but slow down homie! Heh. :finga:

1979 Chevy Malibu Classic 2Dr
1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500
2006 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

New post 
lol

i just ache for the interior lighting vw cheated me :(

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
**** leo if i but they leds and **** and buy u some pizza and **** wanna install them for me??lol

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:29 am
Profile WWW

New post 
add a gallon of orange juice and you got a deal!

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:34 am
Profile YIM

New post 
i have a red l.e.d in my passenger seat and my seat like lighting up the floor to match my dash ill post pics tomorrow

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 am
Profile WWW

New post 
dude u got it!!! ima order them sometime this week and ill let u know when it comes in>>

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 am
Profile WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
Excellent idea and fantastic write up.

However they do sell pins to use instead of cramming wires for the bulb holder for cheap.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:22 am

New post 
hmmm

i may have to look into that.

what do they look like?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:50 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

New post 
^^^ Good point. Now that I look at it, I didn't notice that part at first. Even with the tape, those wires can work their way loose over time with bumps, and cause a short. I would have tapped the line or used pins like Harold said. Good thing these are lower wattage leads you are tapping though. If this was a headlight harness you were tapping in to and they shorted, a fire could come from it heating and melting the wire.

I know you said this is a temporary setup for you, since you aren't sure you wanted to keep it, but if you are going to do a writeup for others, you should have it the "correct and responsible" way.

1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

New post 
gold is ground? i thought brass is hot white is neutral? jk either way it should work fine i believe...

looks nice on that night pic :thumbsup:

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 pm

New post 
Termite wrote:
^^^ Good point. Now that I look at it, I didn't notice that part at first. Even with the tape, those wires can work their way loose over time with bumps, and cause a short. I would have tapped the line or used pins like Harold said. Good thing these are lower wattage leads you are tapping though. If this was a headlight harness you were tapping in to and they shorted, a fire could come from it heating and melting the wire.

I know you said this is a temporary setup for you, since you aren't sure you wanted to keep it, but if you are going to do a writeup for others, you should have it the "correct and responsible" way.

yeah if i get the pins, ill amend the writeups

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:20 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

New post 
aid03 wrote:
gold is ground? i thought brass is hot white is neutral? jk either way it should work fine i believe...
looks nice on that night pic :thumbsup:

Yea, I have always done gold/copper (+) and silver/zinc (-) as well, but I've seen many other people do it the other way. If he had it backwards though, it wouldn't have worked. LED's (Light Emitting Diode), as with any diode, are uni-directional. If it was hooked up backwards the current wouldn't flow. If enough current is given in reverse, for long enough, the LED can "burn" out.

Now, there are some LEDs that have two sets of anodes and cathodes in them, facing in opposite directions, and connected to the same two leads. Usually each set emits a different color. But each set can only be lit at one time. Not to be confused with a triple post LED, which is still uni-directional, but shares the same ground in the center. These are called tri-color, as they can have current sent to either, or both leads together, mixing the colors for a third optical color.

1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

New post 
yeah, youre right those are diodes. if it works with his setup then just stick with it... :thumbsup:

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:52 am

New post 
el_leon wrote:

dont you have a little red light from your front dome light? i know lori does and i wants one

banana bike HD 883

matt

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:49 am

New post 
yea there is i knid of gets on my nerve though!! lol not big enough to help with any light and to small to put an led... :-|

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

New post 
It's called the mood light. All it is supposed to do is illuminate the center dash area and dials. That and give a cool red glow to the area. Tis all.

1984 VW Rabbit GTI
1984 VW Rabbit Cabby
1985 Porsche 944 N/A
1987 Dodge Caravan
1988 VW Scirocco 16V
1989 Honda Accord 4Dr
1994 VW Jetta 2.slow
2004 Mercedes-Benz ML500

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

New post 
210_THUMPER wrote:
yea there is i knid of gets on my nerve though!! lol not big enough to help with any light and to small to put an led... :-|

i LOVE them alot of the mkiv guys put them in because there REALLY isnt any light in the mkiv. i like how it lights up the center console

banana bike HD 883

matt

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:43 am

New post 
210_THUMPER wrote:

you can fit leds in there too

i just think the stock red glow is really nice and dont think id want it to be brighter

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
candywhitevdub wrote:
el_leon wrote:

dont you have a little red light from your front dome light? i know lori does and i wants one

yeah

but i dont have footwell, puddle, or glovebox lights that other vag cars have.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
i saw a dodge stratus with the same setup as yours on 410 but yours looks better... :mrgreen:

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am

New post Re: DIY s6 style L.E.D.
If anyone wants to do this... I suggest using smd (surface mount) LED strips rather than these, looks like 3 or 5mm led's. Reason being is they are more rugged, much more slimline, and look sexier. I've used them for all sorts of things. Here are a few pics of my wife's CX7. I made the LED turn signal mirrors and those fogs up front. Also done footwell lighting with them and a whole host of other things like dome lights, mobile audio, etc...

I made lenses and housings for these though, so they look a lil different than just mounting them...

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
SEA Supporter

I was up at Cycle Plex and they have all kinds of led strips, pods, etc. in all kinds of colors. They were pretty inexpensive and all you have to do is wire them in. I was thinking of deleting my lic. lamps and replacing with a strip of leds and using resistors to keep the failure message off the dash. Similar to what I did with the airbag on my M3 when I replaced the steering wheel. Just wired in a couple resistors to trick the car into thinking the airbag is still there.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:15 am

Fast1 wrote:
I was up at Cycle Plex and they have all kinds of led strips, pods, etc. in all kinds of colors. They were pretty inexpensive and all you have to do is wire them in. I was thinking of deleting my lic. lamps and replacing with a strip of leds and using resistors to keep the failure message off the dash. Similar to what I did with the airbag on my M3 when I replaced the steering wheel. Just wired in a couple resistors to trick the car into thinking the airbag is still there.

That'll work... did the same thing with mine... looks great. Though I don't have to worry about the check error since mine is a 318is. :thumbsup:

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

edited the first post, used te leds elsewhere as i mentioned :)

Fri May 29, 2009 1:03 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next