Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - VR6 Water Pump DIY
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
VR6 Water Pump DIY 
Mr Trashman

New post VR6 Water Pump DIY
Hey guys, just in case anyone needs to do their water pump on their 2.8l VR, here are some tips and a link that helped me out. :) Enjoy.

First of all drain that sucker of all its coolant! I found it pretty easy to pull the hose on the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. It dumped from the hose and the radiator. Worked nicely.

You might want to roll it into a garage, depending on the status of the sun. Pull off all of the air intake stuff. Then put that sucker on some stilts or something.

Ill tell you in advance, that you will have to lift the engine to get the water pump out. Thank you Germans for cramming the beloved VR into the Jetta.

You first need to loosen and take out the motor mount bolts. On the front mount, there is only one bolt which is a 16mm / 5/8"s. The rear mount has two, which is near the header, is some where around size 13mm. Once they are out, feel free to jack that engine up. I used a 3 ton jack with a 2x4 in between the jack and my enging.

You need to loosen the belt and then once the belt is off, you should be able to get to the water pump pulley. The tool needed is a 6mm or 7mm allen. There are three bolts on the pulley, then there are also, three bolts holding the water pump in. I had to pry the pump out because there was so much water corrosion.

The hardest part was nothing really, its pretty dang easy once you lift the engine. Just make sure you reattach the hose for the radiator, and fill it with coolant before you fire her up. ;)

Hope this helps some one. :thumbsup:

BTW, for all you people who told me to tighten my belt when it was squealing, the VRs have a self adjusting belt. Which means, that the water pump was seizing to rotate. Which is when I heard the squeals and smelled the buring rubber. ;)

VRs FTW.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:32 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
pics?

come on man, i KNOW you have a camera!

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 pm

New post 

Last edited by simplyredvw on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:51 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
simplyredvw wrote:
ABTsportsline wrote:
pics?

come on man, i KNOW you have a camera!

You'll just have to take pics whenever you do this on your car. :rr:

lol, wrong.... i will take pics when YOU do it on my car, lol....

Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 am
Post Whore

New post 
How come you had to replace it? Your car was overheating or what?

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr Trashman

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:

Anytime I turned off the car, it dumped coolant. It was rediculous. As I was getting the car inspected it was pouring out.
Haha, they were like, "Uh is that coolant?"
"Oh no, its not, I had the AC on."
"Well it looks like coolant."
"Nope, it smells like water." (As I was smelling it)

Little did they know that all the real coolant leaked out previously and I replaced it with water. Haha.

It turns out that the O-Ring was shot.

And...it didn't pass inspection because it was throwing fault codes at them. P0411, P0322, and maybe P0118. The last one had to do with the water pump, which I fixed. 332 was the crank shaft sensor, which I also fixed, and 411 is the secondary air intake, incorrect flow or something. I dont know where or how to begin to fix that one. But I need to reset the CEL. Maybe $79.99 and Autozone?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:27 am
Little McGyver

New post 
JakkoVR wrote:
SooprmanX wrote:

Anytime I turned off the car, it dumped coolant. It was rediculous. As I was getting the car inspected it was pouring out.
Haha, they were like, "Uh is that coolant?"
"Oh no, its not, I had the AC on."
"Well it looks like coolant."
"Nope, it smells like water." (As I was smelling it)

Little did they know that all the real coolant leaked out previously and I replaced it with water. Haha.

It turns out that the O-Ring was shot.

And...it didn't pass inspection because it was throwing fault codes at them. P0411, P0322, and maybe P0118. The last one had to do with the water pump, which I fixed. 332 was the crank shaft sensor, which I also fixed, and 411 is the secondary air intake, incorrect flow or something. I dont know where or how to begin to fix that one. But I need to reset the CEL. Maybe $79.99 and Autozone?

Where the hell did you have it inspected that they cared?

If it runs and or can be pushed by a donkey, we'll pretty well pass it. :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:35 am
Post Whore

New post 
Yeah at the inspection place they hardly ever even drive my car, they jsut look at it then give me a sticker.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mr Trashman

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
Yeah at the inspection place they hardly ever even drive my car, they jsut look at it then give me a sticker.

Lame! I need to go to another. There isn't anything wrong with it either. :\

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 pm
Token Leghumper

New post 
JakkoVR wrote:
But I need to reset the CEL. Maybe $79.99 and Autozone?

did anyone else fall out of their chair laughing when they read this? :mrgreen:

no, karthesis, that is only for hood scoops.... and use a good mud though.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:19 pm

New post 
ABTsportsline wrote:
JakkoVR wrote:
But I need to reset the CEL. Maybe $79.99 and Autozone?

did anyone else fall out of their chair laughing when they read this? :mrgreen:

no, karthesis, that is only for hood scoops.... and use a good mud though.

Bring it buy and ill hook u up for free, since we normally charge $0 for it anywase

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:09 am

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:

they don't hookup the machine thingy to the exhaust?
wtf?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:16 am
Post Whore

New post 
Patrón wrote:
wtf?

I didn't even know that they did that here in San Antonio.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:22 am
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
Patrón wrote:
wtf?

I didn't even know that they did that here in San Antonio.

self ownage;
i 'paid' for one because i thought they would hook my car up.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:25 am
Post Whore

New post 
Ouch...

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]