Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - DIY: Painting then shaving a Valve cover
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
DIY: Painting then shaving a Valve cover 
SEA Supporter

New post DIY: Painting then shaving a Valve cover
You never want to paint over a dirty valve cover, so before getting started I recommend putting it in a solvent tank then sand/bead blasting if you can, if not, just clean the valve cover with some sort of degreaser.

Tools Needed:
Sand paper 100 grit
Sand paper 220 grit
small pipe or block of wood (At least 1 inch wide)
Painters tape
Scissors
Paint

Step 1: Make sure your Valve cover is clean

Step 2: Paint
Make sure the paint you are using is a high temperature paint, the last thing you want is a sticky melted out valve cover paint due to heat. For this valve cover I used VHT High Temp Wrinkle paint.

Step 3: Begin painting the valve cover, but before you start I recommend taping of the vent neck and oil filler, I didn't do it to mine because i'm going to sand them of later on.. Remember we don't want any drips!! Keep the can as far away from the valve cover as possible. You do not want to do more then 3-4 coats because we want to make the shaving as easy as possible, wait 3-5 minutes between coats.

48 Hours Later.

Step 4: After the paint has dried Get your block of wood or pipe and wrap it around the 100 grit sand paper, make sure the block of wood or pipe is not touching anything but the BMW logo and lines that are on the sides of it. Start going in a vertical motion left and right to take off the paint on the logo. After fully taking off the paint on the things you want shaved, use the 220 grit sand paper in a vertical motion to smoothen it out.

Step 5: After taking off the paint, start taping up the BMW logo and whatever you have shaved off. The reason we are taping the BMW logo and re-painting the valve cover is to keep the valve cover as strong as possible and prevent the valve cover from peeling.

Step 6: Open up a beer and relax (or for you 21 or under kids a juicebox! like me ;) ), you have 48 hours of waiting before you can touch this! That is if you are using VHT Wrinkle paint, it takes a while to dry. Let it dry outside in the sun, it helps wrinkle out faster and plays a major effect on the finished look.

After 48 hours and 2 juice boxes later..

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Last edited by loonibab///M3 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:01 pm
SEA Enforcer

New post 
Looks good.

1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 (wife's)
Taking the whole-assed approach to cheap cars, since 1997.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:17 pm
Profile YIM

New post 
m4ff3w wrote:
Looks good.

x2 Nice job!

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:39 pm
The Guru

New post 
Man that looks amazing.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

New post 
Good writeup. What did it cost total?

BMWCCA 380364

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
Well you only need 1 can of spray paint, wich is 10, a valve cover, (you can use ure old one) tape about 6 bux... and that's it :)

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:34 pm
EuroTuned

New post 
good job dude! :thumbsup:

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:30 pm

New post 
hey man, why do you want to open up a bear? that sounds like it is going to get messy because the bear will probably get mad and try to stomp you into the ground and then open you up.

picking on you ;)

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:36 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
superj wrote:
hey man, why do you want to open up a bear? that sounds like it is going to get messy because the bear will probably get mad and try to stomp you into the ground and then open you up.

picking on you ;)

:finga: I didn't crack open a bear.. i have my juice boxes!

jake. wrote:

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:38 pm

New post 
but beer is beer, bear is a big old california black or brown bear.

i know how you feel though, if you read my thread about taking more stuff out of the 84, i have misspelled five or six things because sometimes your fingers move faster then your brain does.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:44 pm
SEA Supporter

New post 
oh ****. .haha wow i'm such a ******* idiot man... i just relized i spelt it wrong, even at your second post i was like wtf? lmfao.. wow.

jake. wrote:

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:45 pm

New post 
i know how you feel man, no worries.

2012 lightning phantom 2

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:47 pm
Post Whore

New post 
http;//www.strictlyea.com/features/valvecover.html

Thanks for the write-up Abe! I just copied and pasted what you wrote so I hope nothing was spelled wrong. :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
SooprmanX wrote:
http;//www.strictlyea.com/features/valvecover.html

Thanks for the write-up Abe! I just copied and pasted what you wrote so I hope nothing was spelled wrong. :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

bsh.. ofcourse nothing is spelled wrong, who do you think I am?? duncman?

edit: only 3 misspelled words, yay world record!

jake. wrote:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:59 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Which ones? I need to fix them.

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
deagreser recommend smoothen and juicebox

jake. wrote:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:50 pm

New post 
loonibab325i wrote:
deagreser recommend smoothen and juicebox

hehe^^

looks very professional, nice diy!

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:28 pm
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]