Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - DIY E30 Rear Headrest Install.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
DIY E30 Rear Headrest Install. 
BM Double Jew

New post DIY E30 Rear Headrest Install.
Tools needed:
10mm socket
Razor blade or exacto knife
Pen
Flat head screwdriver (BMW tools ftmw)

Parts needed:
Rear Headrests (2)
Rear Headrest Mounts (2)
Hole Covers w/ their clips (2)

Begin by taking out your rear seats.

To remove the bottom bench simply lift up at each end of the seat. There are two clips that hold the rear bench in place. The red arrow shows the one the driver side.

After you got the bottom bench out, it's time for the upper part. Two 10mm bolts hold this piece in place as well as two clips.

The red arrow points to the bolt on the driver side. Once again, same thing needs to be taken off on the passenger side.

To remove the seat simply lift up. After the seats are out the inside of your car should look like this (perhaps w/ the ski hole still intact):

Here's what the clip that holds the seat in looks like :

Now with the seat out of the car we can begin working on mounting the headrests.

This is where the mounting kit attaches but first we will need to make holes for the headrests and coverings to go through. To do this I just took a pen and centered it as best as I could in the opening of where the mount attaches.

Now do the other one so it looks like this

Now we have to use a razor blade to make the holes a bit bigger and trim off the excess vinyl in order to fit the coverings in.

Take off the white part of the cover. This is the clip which holds the cover in place.

You are going to have to trim until you can fit the cover into the hole you made on the top part of the seat. Once you get it in, from the back of the seat you insert the white clip and snap it into the cover. I used a flat head screwdriver to secure the clip back on.

Once you get both on you can begin to install the mount. It sits on the seat like this:

It takes two 10mm bolts to secure this piece.

Now take one headrest and insert the shafts into the covers, once it hits the mount it'll clip in and should look something like this:

Repeat the steps to do the other side.

Once you have both headrests installed. Reinstall the seats in reverse order that you took em off. Remember to pull the seat belts back to make sure they are not behind the seats upon reinstallation.

Final product:

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post them up!

Thanks.

Last edited by jajou318 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 pm

New post 
SEXY!

BMWCCA 380364

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:30 am
Profile WWW

New post 
do they usually not have headrests? :-?

banana bike HD 883

matt

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:32 am

New post 
I was thinkin of installing some headrests in my e36 as well. Kinda the same way. When i get my new seats in, i was thinking of taking the headrests off of my front seats and throwin them in the back. Idk, i guess i will see when i get there.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:36 am

New post 
usually its reare to have the rear seat headrests. i think it would be cool to have them but i have to recover my seats before i worry about headrests and then i have to hold my fronts up to see how it would look on the m3 rear seat

2012 lightning phantom 2

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 am

New post 
thats awesome. Looks great.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:25 am
SEA Supporter

New post 
Thats a great mod. I am thinking about doing that.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:36 am
BM Double Jew

New post 
candywhitevdub wrote:
do they usually not have headrests? :-?

Yea it's usually rare to have rear headrests as an option.

I got that whole set for about $70 shipped.

I started snapping pics in the middle of the install just thought I'd make it a diy.

Thanks for the comments guys :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:29 am
Post Whore

New post 
Nice man, I will do the page for it later this week. :thumbsup:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
SEA Supporter

New post 
Damn, looks great tony, really looks OEM too, not some hack job.
Although, does it effect the view from the rear view mirror?

jake. wrote:
why do people thing that there will be less traction with stretched tires? the contact points will still be the same, its only the sidewall that gets stretched.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:52 pm

New post 
Fast1 wrote:

On the e36 you dont have to do all the work. THe head rest goes in the rear deck. All e36 have the holes in the metal but not all have the headrest holes in the rear deck panel. When I converted my interior to Magma M3, it came with the headrest I will take some pics to show ya'll how it turned out.

By the way jajou318, nice job. Looks good. :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:25 pm

New post 
Lucas318R/T wrote:
Fast1 wrote:

On the e36 you dont have to do all the work. THe head rest goes in the rear deck. All e36 have the holes in the metal but not all have the headrest holes in the rear deck panel. When I converted my interior to Magma M3, it came with the headrest I will take some pics to show ya'll how it turned out.

Ya, mine has the holes and like little channels to put one in. So i took a headrest from the front seat and slid it in with a little force and then could not get it out. So i took the hack saw to my headrest and cut off about 1.5-2inches to free it. It fits still in my front seats and doesnt affect its ability to go up still. So when i do my rear deck in suede, i will leave some holes for the rests.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:29 pm

New post 
hhhhmmmm, I have always loved e30 cabrios with rear headrests. I think its time i took a trip to avdub. I need to get an m50 TPS anywaiz. So maybe I'll do this aside from all my turbo goodness.

-Ali

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 am
Profile WWW
BM Double Jew

New post 
loonibab325i wrote:
Damn, looks great tony, really looks OEM too, not some hack job.
Although, does it effect the view from the rear view mirror?
lol it's just wierd seeing two headrests that weren't there before. oh yea and abe it is oe :P http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=52&fg=30

Thanks.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:47 am

New post 
BMWjiggaB wrote:
Lucas318R/T wrote:
Fast1 wrote:

Ya, mine has the holes and like little channels to put one in. So i took a headrest from the front seat and slid it in with a little force and then could not get it out. So i took the hack saw to my headrest and cut off about 1.5-2inches to free it. It fits still in my front seats and doesnt affect its ability to go up still. So when i do my rear deck in suede, i will leave some holes for the rests.

Man I did my rear deck, a,b,and c pillars in black suede(actully microfiber, but it looks identical and a hell of a lot cheaper). It looks killer all together with the magma. You will be real happy with the outcome. I still have to cover my headliner and sunroof insert in suede. When you cover your rear deck, buy the oem plastic inserts for the headrests holes. Kindof like what jajou had for his seats.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:29 am

New post 
Lucas318R/T wrote:
BMWjiggaB wrote:
Lucas318R/T wrote:
Fast1 wrote:

Man I did my rear deck, a,b,and c pillars in black suede(actully microfiber, but it looks identical and a hell of a lot cheaper). It looks killer all together with the magma. You will be real happy with the outcome. I still have to cover my headliner and sunroof insert in suede. When you cover your rear deck, buy the oem plastic inserts for the headrests holes. Kindof like what jajou had for his seats.

Ya ive done my a pillar and headliner and sunroof insert in suede allready. I have been just waiting on the rear deck bc of my every changing subwoofer ideas and how i was goign to port it into the rear deck.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:08 am
Post Whore

New post 
300 years later.... :mrgreen:

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
Since Ruben brought this back from the dead, since then, i have also added rear headrests. I got them really cheap from a junkyard and im pretty sure that they had another set in black if anyone is interested. I might be going back out that way within a week to check on a diff.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:20 am
BM Double Jew

New post 
haha cool ruben thanks

Thanks.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 am
Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]