Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/strictly/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 991: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Strictly European Autosport - View topic - DIY: Painting interior trim *WIP*
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
DIY: Painting interior trim *WIP* 

New post DIY: Painting interior trim *WIP*
So I wanted to try and paint my interior trim to silver like the M3's. I hate the wood look and instead of paying a few hundred bucks for the new trim why not paint it.

Here is the ugly mertyl wood.

A while back I went out and bought some 3M silver metallic vinyl tape and wrapped the trim and it came out good but it was just a temp solution. It had bubbles and the folds didn't line up right on the edges and overall just looked ghetto.

So I went out and bought some silver metallic paint, primer, 320 grit sand paper, and some clear glaze.

Here's how it came out. (Still a work in progress)

The first thing I did was clean the trim making sure that no grease or fingerprints were on it.

Then hit it up with 2 coats of primer.

After that I sanded it down with 320grit paper. (Do it very lightly)

Wait...need to test it out first. So I painted my old roundel that was all cracked and chipped.
Only 1 coat but not bad.

Now the silver, do very light strokes about 10in away. Should probably do 2-3 coats but I think I overdid it so I'm still getting my technique down. It came out EXTREMELY dull and very textured which I didn't like but after the clear it came out okay.

This is where I got crazy and glossed this bad boy up like there was no tomorrow.

Let it dry and top it off with a nice cold frosty one.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:40 pm

New post 
looks pretty good, did you ever wetsand it with a 1000-2000 grit paper? that would have made it come out a lot smoother, but they still look pretty good

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:35 pm

New post 
Actually I overdid it big time. In the end it came out exactly what I didn't want it to be. It was way too glittery.
It was still wet in those pics btw.

Here is a pic of the paint vs the 3M vinyl tape..

Anyone know of a flatter silver that I can use that would match that 3M vinyl tape?

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm

New post 
I actually tried so many different types of paint from brilliant silver to ultra silver and even silver slate. All of them came out glittery like that ugh.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:42 pm
Post Whore

New post 
Werd. Make sure and post pics after you have it installed.

Keep up with important information.....Click here....

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

New post 
That 3m stuff looks pretty good. It would be cool to match it like that. Not sure if you want like a bright silver or not, but try using like non car paint. What i mean is the paint that you got is for like re-doing fenders and what not and alot of cars have some kinda of metallic flake in it. So if you get some high temp grill paint or plastic paint or even engine paint, im sure that those might work alittle bit better.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:31 pm

New post 
Ya bright silver is fine. Its the glitter thats annoying me.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:18 pm

New post 
Cheezemurda wrote:
Ya bright silver is fine. Its the glitter thats annoying me.

just get a flat silver with no flake. it shouldn't be that hard to find

banana bike HD 883

matt

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:12 am
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]